This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

1. Coffee. Coffee. And more coffee. As a frequent LIRR commuter, I basically survive on my Dunkin’ Donuts coffee every morning because the caffeine keeps me awake and it keeps me warm waiting for the train to arrive at the platform in the less than pleasant New York winter. 

2. Headphones. The best part of my commute is getting to listen to music, watch Buzzfeed videos, or even Netflix. 

3. Take a nap. Stick in your headphones, put on some music, and catch some z’s. If you don’t want music, at least have you headphones in so you can set an alarm so you don’t miss your stop and not disturb the whole car you’re in. 

4. Don’t be that person who takes up multiple seats, especially on a rush hour train. We’re all tired, whether it be from not getting enough sleep the night before or a long day at work. Just don’t do it. 

5. Please don’t talk obnoxiously loud on the phone. The train is a generally a pretty quiet place, and no one wants to hear you arguing with your boyfriend or having your weekly catch up with mom when we’re just trying to relax. 

6. A train beer is always a good way to unwind after a long day of work.  Get yourself the stereotypical 40 in a brown paper bag, or if you prefer the more kid friendly version, in a plastic cup with straw where it looks like you’re drinking apple juice (but we all know that’s not true). 

7. Take advantage of the train shuttle. They usually run on the hour, and will save your six dollars a day in parking, which definitely adds up. 

8. If you’re interning, find a friend who is interning on alternate days than you so you can split a monthly pass. Since the LIRR doesn’t offer a student discount, that’s the next best way to save money on transportation cost. 

9. Get an app where you can get the schedules between any two stations at any time. This is super helpful for if you miss your usual train and need to catch the next one. 

10. The infamous “drunk train” is a very interesting ride. Just don’t be that person who gets sick before they even reach their destination.

Stephanie Impostato is a junior broadcast journalism major at Hofstra University with a minor in Italian. Her hobbies include Netflix bingeing the holy trinity (Parks and Recreation, The Office, and 30 Rock, duh) in the dark, buying more than she can afford, drinking excessive amounts of tea and traveling the world. She also loves anything beauty and music related and writes a beauty blog you can check out at glossitoversi.wordpress.com, and on Twitter @stephimpostato.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.