How I’m Planning On Kicking Spring 2020’s Butt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

To put it lightly, the Fall 2019 semester was a lot.

I joined new clubs, met so many new people and moved up in a lot of positions I already carried. I had a lot of success and I can honestly say I tried my hardest and had an overall really great semester.

However, my successes did not come easily. I’m not going to lie, I was kind of unprepared for just exactly how busy the semester would be with all of the new clubs and responsibilities I held. On top of that, I do happen to be the queen of procrastination.

While that was a title I held with pride starting in high school through my first year of college, after taking a good hard look at my habits I’m sick of constantly feeling like I’m running around and having to sacrifice my free-time or skip class in order to catch up on work for other classes.

Being a hot mess isn’t a good look, and I plan on actually trying to be a responsible almost-adult in 2020 and manage my time and responsibilities in a realistic way. That being said, it all has to do with baby steps and I pin-pointed five habits that I’m trying to implement into my life in order to make myself less stressed and more #blessed.

Buying a planner I’ll actually use (and actually keeping it updated).

I’ve always said I’m a planner person, but that’s usually turns out to be false after work starts piling up and I just kind of rely on my mental hierarchy to remind me what to do when. Needless to say, this is a bad habit. However, I’m determined to make it work. I’m a visual person, and I invested in a planner that has enough bells and whistles to be more than a fancy notebook but isn’t filled with a bunch of fluff that no one actually needs. The one I got is from the Create and Cultivate collection from Dayplanner. It has spaces for to-do lists, weekly and monthly calendars, and a space to reflect on the month and plan goals for the months ahead. Pray for me (and my planner).

Using my Google Calendar to organize commitments (ahead of time).

I love Google Calendar. If you don’t use it, you should. I have my work calendar, school calendar and club calendars all loaded onto one account and it’s accessible from every device I could ever want it on. However, I’m very guilty of not actually using it or referencing it when figuring out my schedule. That’s bad, and I already have my schedules updated for the Spring semester so that I (hopefully) won’t be caught off guard by any meetings or events.

Being realistic about how much sleep I actually need.

During finals week last semester, I quite literally got a total of six hours of sleep in the span of three days. Yes, I had a breakdown over it. No, I will never let that happen again. I used to be pretty good about putting my books down after a certain time, but this past semester I started letting my schoolwork get in the way of the fact that my body desperately needed sleep. The new rule is, if I don’t understand it by midnight, I’ll probably never understand it without help from a professor or a classmate who has a much healthier sleep schedule than I do, so it’s better for everyone if I just get some sleep.

Giving myself time for self-care of all varieties.

I love face masks. A good cup of coffee can change my mood in less than a second. I have the best friends and support systems in the entire world. I want more time to cherish these things, and so I’m giving myself that time this semester. Anything can be a mental reset, and I always underestimate how good I feel after just spending time with friends or doing a face mask and taking the time to just sit and drink my coffee in the morning.

Listening to my body and responding to what it’s saying.

The older I get, the more I realize my body just simply does not like it when I do certain things. It’s hard to admit it, but honestly, projects can wait until tomorrow and it feels much better to actually get sleep and eat a good meal instead of skipping lunch so I can make office hours or staying up until 3 a.m. studying. I have a lot of plans for the future and I’m realizing if I want to feel good amidst my successes, I have to try and make my body happy.

As I said, this past semester wasn’t bad, I was just extremely unprepared for how busy I’d actually be. Luckily I have people in my life that helped carry me through that, but one day I may not be able to just send an email to a professor because I’m “sick” and have to stay at home and rest in order to catch up on work.

Cassity is a senior Public Relations and French double major at Hofstra. Her life's mission is to find the best oat milk latte in New York City and live out her dream of someday being as iconic as Carrie Bradshaw. Until then, she's happy to serve as Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra.