Health Update: Appointments You Should Make Yearly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all want to be healthy, and just because it comes at a price (probably literally, unless you have great insurance) doesn’t mean you should skip out on those yearly appointments. No one likes sitting around in waiting rooms or hearing that dreaded dentist’s drill, but it’s so worth it to have peace of mind and know what’s going on with your body. Take advantage of your summer off and schedule these 5 appointments—you’ll be thankful you did.

1. General wellness check. Usually the simplest appointment, this run-through with your regular physician includes getting your weight and blood pressure checked, any discussion of personal concerns you have. You can also get your flu shots if you want.

2. Dermatologist. This is especially helpful in the summertime if you’re worried about protecting your skin (or you’ve already gotten that first nasty sunburn). If you make an appointment for a specific skin issue, make sure you still schedule a general appointment date for an overall check.

3. Gynecologist. If you’re a woman over 18, you should see a gynecologist once a year whether you’re sexually active or not. Your family physician may be qualified for this exam as well, but if not, you can see someone who specializes in it.

4. Dentist. You should see the dentist at least once a year, but they’ll probably recommend an appointment every six months. Depending on your self-care, like if you smoke or if you floss regularly (be honest!), you can make the call on how often you should go.

5. Optometrist. This isn’t necessarily needed annually by everyone—doctors recommend that you get an eye exam every two years. However, if you have glasses or contacts, you might want to go every year to get your prescription renewed (or altered). 

Emily Windram

Hofstra '15

Emily Windram is a passionate writer with experience in personal and business branding, creative writing, and communications. She graduated from Hofstra in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and History.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!