An Extensive Review of Hofstra’s Revamped Student Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Even before the new school year began, there’s been an undeniable excitement in the air about the renovations in the student center. New additions include updated eateries and menus, more comfortable seating, and the crown jewel; a full service Starbucks. Let’s dig into everything that’s new in The Stu.

Brooklyn Slice

Up late working in the library? Want a little snack and too lazy to walk all the way to HofUSA or Dutch? No problem! Brooklyn Slice is just a short walk from the Axinn, and they’re open till two am! Formerly Sbarro, Brooklyn Slice is the new place to get some yummy pizza. They also offer a variety of pasta, salad, and fun sodas. 

The Melt Lab

The Melt Lab is located in the Student Center Cafe, where the acai station used to be. They’re open weekdays from 11am-2pm, and offer lots of tasty and innovative grilled cheese sandwiches. This is a pretty tight window, so if you have a busy schedule, it might be hard to snag one of these coveted sandwiches.  Whether you just want a classic grilled cheese or a fancy sandwich, The Melt Lab is a great place to stop by!

Starbucks

This full service Starbucks is quite the upgrade from its predecessor, Cafe on the Corner. Starbucks has a lot to offer; a full menu of their famous beverages, breakfast sandwiches, pastries, and quick to-go options if you’re in a rush. If you’re trying to cut down on single-use plastics, pick up one of Starbucks’ cute reusable tumblers or mugs while you wait in line! There is also a solid variety of cozy seating in the Starbucks if you’re someone who enjoys studying or hanging out in a coffee shop setting. 

Updated Menus

Revolution Noodle and Sushi, Freshens, and Eli’s Kosher Kitchen all have fresh looks and new menu items! Revolution Noodle and Sushi(arguably one of the best spots to get food on campus) has added bento boxes to their menu, along with more vegan and vegetarian options. No matter what you’re hungry for, Revolution Noodle and Sushi has plenty of options to satisfy any appetite. 

Freshens is now located in the back of the Student Center, and their newest offerings are grilled cheese and frozen yogurt. Of course, Freshens is still providing their ~healthier~ favorites. Stop by for tasty salads, bowls, wraps, and smoothies. It’s always nice to have another place on campus to get a fun and nutritious treats!

Eli’s has now moved to the front of the Student Center. Their new location has a homey feel, and has a solid menu full of Kosher options! Though none of their menu offerings are new, Eli’s is still absolutely worth the visit. 

Overall Upgrades

The Stu just looks so much nicer as a whole. The updated seating and study spaces have made the Student Center a place where people actually want to hang out and get work done. The added high top bars around Brooklyn Slice and Revolution Noodle and Sushi and a new lounge right near the Unispan provides students and faculty alike with more space to relax and recharge. 

The Student Center renovations are a great “welcome back” for returning students, and quite a treat for new students. If you haven’t already, take some time to check out all the amazing updates in the Student Center! 

Micaela is a senior journalism major with a minor in civic engagement. She's known for her love of coffee and being funny online.