Campus Celebrity: Victoria Powers ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Class Standing: Senior

Major/Minor: Journalism/English

What are you involved with on campus?

I worked the Presidential Debate and I’ve written for HerCampus and Pulse magazine.

You took time off before going to college and work with Disney Corporation as a Disney princess! Take us through the process of how you became a princess.

I went to a dance audition in Austin, TX and got pulled to the side to be fit in a character. I got approved in Snow White and Ariel and they told me to move to Orlando. So I deferred my admission to college and moved to Disney World! I worked there for 3 years full-time and 3 years as a seasonal cast member.

Upon graduation, how will you use your princess skills to curate a business?

My friend and I recently started a business, Party like A Princess, where we attend kids birthday parties dressed as princesses. We figured we have a pretty unique set of skills that we can use in the entertainment field. It’s just a side business, something fun to do on the weekends.

As a graduating senior, what advice do you have for any incoming freshman, especially those who took time off before going to college?

If you took time off you may feel a bit behind but there’s no rush. I loved taking some time off before college because I felt like I got to experience things that I would have missed out on if I immediately started school after high school graduation. In the words of my favorite celeb Miley, “It’s all about the climb!” It doesn’t matter when you finish as long as you get there.

For more information on Victoria’s company, visit partylikeaprincessnj.com

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!