This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Hi again, and welcome back to my author spotlight series! I hope everyone is enjoying the summer and having some adventures. Speaking of adventures, I had the opportunity to interview Julie Abe about her standalone middle-grade novel: “Alliana, Girl of Dragons.” Abe is most known for writing the “Eva Evergreen” series and is an avid fan of all things mythical. “Alliana, Girl of Dragons” is available for preorder and comes out on August 2nd.

This fantasy-packed novel is perfect for fans of Shannon Hale and Carson Levine. Inspired by a Japanese “Cinderella,” Abe’s book follows a strong female lead whose dreams of traveling to the capital to visit the queen are quickly squashed when her grandmother dies. The “Cinderella” trope follows shortly after when Alliana must attend to her stepsister’s ballgowns and clean until the sun comes up. After meeting a young witch and a night dragon, Alliana’s life quickly becomes filled with the adventure she dreamed of since she was young. Will it be enough to escape her mundane life? Set in the same world of “Eva Evergreen,” “Alliana, Girl of Dragons” tackles the excitement along with the risks.

What fairytales did you grow up with, and how do you think they have influenced this novel?

I have always adored fairytales. Some of my favorites include “Cinderella” and a Japanese folktale called the “Cut-tongue Sparrow.” There is something so comforting about stories that have similar threads, but each story sparkles with new light and experiences. For “Alliana, Girl of Dragons,” I had a lot of fun taking elements that I love—such as Cinderella sewing. For Alliana, she loves to sew beautiful tapestries with Grandmother Mari; these reminded me of the Japanese tapestries I’ve always seen around me while growing up. Another example is in the Japanese “Cinderella” story, Chūjō-hime becomes a nun rather than getting that “prince on a white horse” sort of happily ever after. For Alliana, she’ll definitely have her own happily ever after—which readers will see hints of through the epilogue, which was an absolute delight to write (and those who have read “Eva Evergreen” might know some of what will happen)!

How would you say Alliana’s personality and character differ from those around her?

Alliana is very hardworking — she owes her stepmother a debt that she’s trying to repay, and is very dedicated to making sure that is paid before she even considers following her dreams. She is also very hopeful—unlike her stepfamily—and that helps her keep her eye on her dreams, even at times when they feel so far away and out of reach.

While they are not blood-related, Miss Sakamaki has a beautiful bond with Alliana. Does their relationship parallel one of your own? If so, what was the idea behind Miss Sakamaki and her bond with Alliana?

Grandmother Mari, as Alliana knows Miss Sakamaki, was heavily based on my grandmother, the brightest, kindest soul I have ever had the honor of knowing. I wanted a figure who loved Alliana dearly and unconditionally, which is something that is so important for Alliana, who often feels cast aside. Much like with my own grandmother, Alliana’s time with Grandmother Mari is far too short, but she continued to draw strength from remembering Grandmother Mari’s love to the very end. In, I dedicated “Alliana, Girl of Dragons” to my own grandmother, with the hope that her spirit will continue on and touch readers’ lives through the story.

In addition to “Alliana, Girl of Dragons,” you’ve written the “Eva Evergreen” series that also has a magical female protagonist. What made you drawn to the mythical and magical genres?

I absolutely adore writing about magic because it breathes possibilities into life and makes me see the world in a new light. Magic in a story transports me as a reader, making me feel like I’ve gone on a wonderful adventure—even if I’ve never left my reading spot. By writing mythical and magical stories, I hope to create that same enchanted feeling for other readers.

What song or album would you use to describe Alliana and Isao’s friendship and why?

A song that immediately comes to mind is “Long Live” by Taylor Swift, especially the line “I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you”. The joy of the song, of adoring a friend who is a wonderful ally and supporter, and of course the dragons—all of that matches so well with Alliana and Isao’s adventures. Though “Alliana, Girl of Dragons,” can be read without having read “Eva Evergreen,” it felt extra special to feature their friendship since both Alliana and Isao show up in my “Eva Evergreen” books too.

Why was Alliana’s world inspired by Japan?

I was born in Japan, and it’s a part of my own story and life. So much of who I am is touched by Japan—more than I even realize, sometimes—so I love pulling Japanese culture into the stories I write. It makes my stories feel truly mine.

In Japanese culture, a name has meaning and power. How can these concepts be applied to this novel when it comes to each character?

Alliana struggles the most with her name. Being orphaned, she doesn’t have a full name—she’s simply Alliana, a girl from Rivelle Realm. However, as she grows through the story, she learns how to claim a name for herself and [the] power within that name.

Kabo, Alliana’s dragon friend, is named after kabocha, a Japanese pumpkin. This was a perfect match because of the “Cinderella” tie-in of a pumpkin being Cinderella’s ride to the ball, and because of the nature of Japanese pumpkins. They’re very hard and green on the outside, but a beautiful yellow-orange inside. I thought it was fitting for a dragon that might seem tough and scary at first glance, but he truly loves Alliana and is sweetly protective of her with his whole heart.

The other characters each have their own stories for their name, but one name I had slipped in was Eggna, the name of one of Alliana’s chickens. It’s actually the name of a book blogger’s chicken (CW from “The Quiet Pond”)! That was a lot of fun to add in

What was your writing process like for this novel which seems to have a lot of intricate details and backstories?

“Alliana, Girl of Dragons” was sparked by a line in the “Eva Evergreen” books, and from there, unraveled into a full story. I really loved the idea of having a prequel and expanding the world of “Eva Evergreen,” because I deeply love stories that are set in the same universe, like Tamora Pierce’s books, even if they’re not directly connected, so I’m so glad that my publisher was also interested in Alliana’s story and wanted to publish it. In many ways, creating the environment was easier since I used the world I had created in the “Eva Evergreen” books, but also a lot more difficult, because I wanted to be very deliberate about adding in subtle changes to show how things are in Alliana’s book versus during Eva’s stories.

Food seems to be found on every page from Isao’s cloudberry cookies and croissants to cabbage pancakes. Would you say you are a foodie? If so, what role does food play in your novel? 

Oh, absolutely! I’m definitely a foodie. I love making a scene feel more real with food. Also, what usually happens is that I’m hungry while writing (or make myself hungry writing), so I end up writing more about food!

What can readers look forward to in this novel?

Tasty food, sparkling magic (including flying high into the sky!) and found family relationships that will warm your heart and melt it like butter. And, of course, dragons!

I’d like to thank Julie Abe for answering all my questions and giving me an advanced copy of the novel. I really loved seeing the different versions of a classic tale alongside some adventure. I highly recommend the novel especially if you enjoy AAPI authors. If you enjoyed reading Abe’s writing, check out her YA contemporary romance novel, “The Charmed List,” which is set to release on July 5th. Thanks to Hachette Book Group’s Cassie Malmo who helped make this interview possible alongside the many more author spotlights we have lined up.

Sabrina Blandon is an American Literature major at NYU's CAS. Her Author Spotlight series features reputable writers such as Xiran Jay Zhao and James Murray, as she hopes to add onto the list.