7 Vegan Treats to Make for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

After family, I consider baked goods to be the most important part about the holiday season. No Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or even Winter Solstice celebration is complete if it’s not accompanied by something sweet, no matter what diet you follow. Luckily, you don’t need any animal products to bake something festive, and there are actually lots of vegan dessert recipes out there. These 7 recipes are the perfect treats to kick off your holiday season, without compromising the vegan lifestyle!

Gingerbread Men

A tried and true classic. Nothing quite says “happy holidays” like these little guys, and thankfully someone has figured how to make them a part of your vegan holiday. Hopefully you’re better at the decorating aspect than I am. 

Gingerbread Brownies

If you’re not as big of a fan of the whole cookie concept, these gingerbread brownies are the perfect alternative. Everything tastes better when when it’s in a brownie, and they’re one of the easiest desserts to make with substitues, so this is a real recipe for success. 

Iced Shortbread Cookies

Remember those cookies you would get in the supermarket as a kid that blew any fancy baked good out of the water? Here’s your grown-up holiday version. These iced shortbread cookies are the perfect nostalgic treat to add to your holiday lineup, and the healthier vegan ingredients might save you from the inevitable stomach-ache that accompanied the store bought ones. 

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Even a self-professed cookie hater would fall madly in love with these chocolate crinkle cookies. These babies are rich, chewy, and dusted with powdered sugar that reminds you of snow on Christmas morning. They’re so good, you might end up having to convince all of your friends that they actually are vegan. 

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Chocolate and peanut butter are a sacred combination, making these cookies an obvious choice for the holiday season. What’s even better, is that this recipe is crafted with a minimalist approach, making them easy to make when you’ve got that last minute party or cookie exchange to attend. 

Chai Cheescake

This one’s for all of you who like a something a twist on a traditional. The cheescake base is a crowd favorite, while the tea adds the perfect warm and cozy flavor to pair with the cold weather. My tip: make the recipe in little dessert cups for a more convenient, bite-sized version! 

Hot Chocolate

The last, but certainly not least item on the list. It’s not really the holiday season if you haven’t indulged in a cup of cocoa and sat by a fireplace, and that’s just how it works. This hot chocolate recipe will allow you to indulge in the classic drink, and Santa will certainly appreciate the break from dairy. 

No matter what diet you follow, you deserve to have all of the desserts during your holiday season. By making these recipes you’ll be the most thoughtful friend for providing options for those you love who might be limited in what they can eat this time of year. Who knows, you might just love them so much yourself that they become a year round staple. 

Kay is an English Lit major and Journalism minor at Hofstra University. She is the instagram editor of HC Hofstra, as well as a contributing writer. When she's not geeking out over 19th century novels, Kay is a lover of red lipstick, broadway shows, and aesthetic restaurant branding.