This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Acne and other skin problems don’t just plague hormonal teens; adults in their 20s and beyond can suffer from unwanted breakouts just as easily. The key to clear skin is a balance of what you put into your body, and how you take care of it on the surface. These 6 tips can help you reduce the risk of pimples and keep them away. 

Keep Acne Affected Areas Clean & Be Gentle

Washing your face twice a day can make a huge difference when it comes to breakouts. Throughout the day, oil, dead skin cells and other environmental impurities build up and clog your pores. It is best to use warm water and an unscented soap/cleanser with a soft cloth or freshly washed hands. Try not to scrub too hard, and be sure to gently pat dry your face afterwards.

Try Not to Over-Indulge in Junk

Greasy junk food, candy and other unhealthy foods reflect both how you look and how you feel. Though many health experts debunk the myth that chocolate causes pimples, it’s still best to avoid these foods when possible and instead feed your body a good balance of all the key food pyramid categories. Foods high in processed sugar and dairy products have been proven to cause acne, but of course moderation is key.

Consider the Ingredients of Makeup Brands, & Remove it ENTIRELY Before Going to Bed

Makeup on its own can cause acne if you’re wearing too much of it or if it’s comprised of ingredients known to clog pores. According to Behind the Scenes Makeup, the following chemicals are known to cause acne: wheat germ oil, algae extract, carrageenans, red algae, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, sodium lauryl sulfate, isopropyl myristate, hexadecyl alcohol and laureth 4. Avoid products with these ingredients when possible, and be sure to remove all of your makeup before going to bed to let your skin breath.

Take Zinc as a Supplement/Eat Foods High in Zinc

Zinc is a well known form of acne treatment because it has many skin-specific benefits. According to Natural Acne Clinic, zinc by itself is unlikely to clear acne, but in combination with vitamin A, selenium and general healthy skin habits, it has shown to significantly reduce breakouts. Zinc is a useful supplement to treat acne because:

-It works as an anti-inflammatory.

-It’s a natural antibacterial supplement which decreases bacterial damage to the skin.

-Zinc transports vitamin A in acne-prone skin.

-It reduces keratinocyte activation, which helps cells to produce the correct amount of keratin (thus opening pores).

There are many foods that are high in zinc as well. Some of which include: beans, nuts, seeds, oatmeal, whole grains. However, much of the zinc present in these foods won’t absorb as a result of low bioavailability. That is why the supplements are most recommended.

Go to the Gym Regularly

Working out is another great way to reduce acne because you’re sweating out a lot of the toxins while also reducing stress (yes, working out is actually proven to reduce stress). However, if you have acne-prone skin, it is important to take precautions so you don’t make it worse. Make sure you’re cleaning your skin (face and/or body) before/after workouts, and patting (not rubbing) your skin with a towel when you get really sweaty. If you have longer hair, it’s also advised that you wear your hair up, use a headband, and shower as soon as possible post-workout.

Use Tea Tree Essential Oil as a Spot Treatment

Tea tree oil comes from the leaves of an Australian tree called Melaleuca alternifolia. It is most commonly used to fight off bacteria and reduce redness of the skin. Applying 5% tea tree oil has been compared to using benzoyl peroxide (an industrial chemical often used as medication to treat mild to moderate acne). It has been proven to improve acne after three months without the negative effects experienced when using benzoyl peroxide (drying, irritation, burning). Note that tea tree oil is extremely potent and must be diluted in water before using on the skin.

These are just a few skin care tips to help keep acne at bay and make sure that it never comes back. Hopefully, these tips will be helpful!

Journalism Major | Radio Television Film Minor | Fine Arts Minor Hofstra University Class of 2020