Wellness > Mental Health

6 Ways for the Anxious College Student to Start a Self-Care Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Anxiety is not easy to control. For some odd reason, human brains have just developed in a way that makes it hard for us to stop worrying about something bothering us. This can be even harder once you get into college. Students who suffer from chronic anxiety don’t simply worry in passing about a test they might have flunked or that embarrassing moment a few days ago. Instead, behavior can range on the obsessive, complete with intrusive thoughts, depression, and fear of approaching new situations or letting old situations go. A small encounter can turn into a lifelong nightmare – and with school and responsibility on top of that, it can be hard for many college students to cope.

So, what to do? If you find that you are an obsessive worrier whose life seems to be falling apart, there is a solution: self-care. Mental health can be difficult to treat with self-care, but by building a self-care routine, you have a specific set of actions to take to reduce your anxiety, refocus your energy where it matters, and calm your mind. Here are five ways that you can start off your self-care routine.

Disperse Your Responsibilities Evenly Across the Week

Photo courtesy of Walt StoneburnerPhotopin.com

One of the best things you can do to take care of yourself is to disperse your academics, extracurriculars, and relaxation times across the week. This does not mean sticking to a strict schedule – being unable to meet your deadlines can be another potent source of anxiety. Instead, create a rough outline of the activities, homework, and classes you have for the week. You can do homework and studying for each class on its assigned day, which can help you stay up-to-date without having a huge workload every night. Another alternative is to work and study for short intervals multiple times in a day, or to assign the same hours each day to studying, working, or relaxing. This can help you begin to separate possible sources of anxiety from the times when you want to wind down.

Add On One Thing at a Time

GIF courtesy of Giphy.com

One of the things you don’t want to do when building your routine is to quickly incorporate a bunch of different things at the same time. This might work for some, but for others, it can be overwhelming; you don’t want to start dreading your relaxation time! Instead, tack one small addition to your routine every once and a while, and focus on creating structure around each new activity. For example, many girls use their morning and evening skincare routines as a chance to unwind and relax. The simple act of taking a shower and applying layer after layer of skincare is a routine in and of itself, and it needs some time to foster so that you don’t end up abandoning it. Make it a habit. Try introducing one thing and making it into a habit. Following this method will help you build a routine that doesn’t even feel like you’re making an effort.

Reduce Non-Productive Screen Time

GIF courtesy of Fox ADHD, Giphy.com

You might have heard this from your psychology professor, but it is still worth saying again – don’t bring your electronics into bed with you. Most of the time, you are not actually being productive or getting anything done. Instead, you are disrupting your sleep pattern, which can lead to insomnia, grumpiness, and increased anxiety. It is also important to shun unimportant screen time during the formation of your self-care routine, as well. This doesn’t mean necessarily shutting off your laptop every time you put on a face mask. Instead, it means choosing a favorite movie, listening to a relaxing song, or watching a gentle video on self-improvement. Scrolling through social media can make your self-esteem take a nosedive, and you don’t need that sort of negativity in your life. Maximize positive screentime into your routine so you come away refreshed and relaxed instead of dull-eyed and drained.

Tie Specific Actions to an Everyday Event

GIF courtesy of Giphy.com

Your self-care routine doesn’t need to float around somewhere in your schedule; you can train your body to use certain cues to transition into self-care time. Making a cup of tea, for example, can signal to your body that you’re ready to start winding down and taking care of yourself. Sitting on your bed can be a signal to your body that it is time to meditate and fall asleep. If this is too hard and not concrete enough for you to start with, you can also leave items that signal the start of your self-care routine in places that are highly visible to you. For example, you can leave a tea bag on top of your desk, or tape a face mask to your mirror, which can help trigger your thoughts to begin your relaxation routine. You can attach thoughts and actions to everyday events in this way. 

Plan for the Bad Days

GIF courtesy of Giphy.com

There is never a guarantee that you will have a good day. Sometimes you come home exhausted and cannot summon the energy to do anything but scroll through your Twitter feed. Sometimes you don’t feel like doing a bubble bath. Sometimes you fall asleep in your makeup. There is always the chance that something can go wrong and knock off your routine. This is why it is good to plan for the bad days before they happen. Have a movie you are looking forward to watching saved as the first item on your Bookmarks Bar, so you see it when you turn on your computer. Force yourself to meditate before bed instead of reaching for your phone. Keep a pack of makeup wipes at your bedside for the times you don’t have the energy to use a cleansing balm. If you have a plan, the bad days do not have to be setbacks in your routine, and you can continue onwards. 

It may be hard sometimes, but it does not have to be hard all the time. A self-care routine might be difficult to handle with anxiety at first, but with time has the potential to help you heal, recuperate, and prepare to face the world stronger than before. Make your lists, put on a sheet mask, and relax – you deserve it. 

Sumayyah Uddin is a transfer student to Hofstra University in Long Island, NY. She is (currently) pursuing a major in Psychology and a minor in Creative Writing. When not working on schoolwork, worrying about what important assignment she's forgotten, or running back and forth between classes, Sumayyah enjoys drawing, reading comics, finding cool animated films, and daydreaming about pursuing a career in the arts.