6 Netflix Shows You Need To Watch Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Black Mirror

This modern Twilight Zone-esque show is the newest Netflix hit. A British TV network produced the first two seasons but for season 3 Netflix has picked up the series. Each episode features a completely different cast and completely unrelated story each more chilling and suspenseful than the last. It’s not quite a horror show but more of an on-the-edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Shameless

Not a Netflix original, but one of my current on-Netflix obsessions. This Showtime series follows the adventures of a single alcoholic father and his 6 children. Father, Frank, spends most of his time at the bar. The Gallagher children, led by 21-year-old Fiona, manage to raise themselves in spite of Frank’s lack of parenting. Seasons 1-6 are available on Netflix right now.

Jessica Jones

This badass superhero is a flawless mixture of Veronica Mars and Black Widow. Krysten Ritter stars as Jessica Jones, a former superhero who runs her own private investigation agency. All episodes of the first season premiered on November 20, 2015. The series has a film noir atmosphere and tackles serious issues like sexual assault and PTSD. Netflix renewed Jessica Jones for a second season in January 2016, but it doesn’t look like it’s coming anytime before early 2018.

Luke Cage

Also from Marvel is the Jessica Jones spin-off, Luke Cage. Mike Colter stars as Luke Cage, crime-fighter with superhuman strength and unbreakable skin. The series comments on race, politics, and the Black Lives Matter movement. The third Marvel Cinematic Universe show to come out on Netflix, there are many tie-ins to the other shows and the Universe as a whole

Degrassi: Next Class

Everyone’s favorite pre-teen melodrama (or at least mine???) is not over and it never went away. After a successful 3 previous series in the 80s, Degrassi: The Next Generation ran on a combination of MTV, CTV, and TeenNick for 14 seasons. After being canceled by TeenNick, Netflix picked up the story, actors, and good old Degrassi Community School with Degrassi: Next Class. This 2-season continuation deals with modern issues like sexting, rape culture, and discrimination with the same somewhat awkward mood of the early teen years that the older seasons had. Also a bonus: there’s a high school reunion episode with all of the best of Degrassi: The Next Generation!

Master of None

Aziz Ansari. Enough said. He is hilarious. Starring Ansari, the series is about Dev, a 30-year-old actor trying to make it in NYC and it is a fantastic comedy. The episodes are pretty short so I watched the entire series in two days.

I'm a senior Theatre Arts Production major at Hofstra University. I'm almost always at rehearsal, reading plays, seeing plays, blogging about plays, or fangirling over plays. My likes include giraffes, Britney Spears, American history and coffee.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.