Style

5 Outfits To Wear On Thanksgiving When You’re Going To Be HELLA Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I’ll be honest, I love Thanksgiving. But, I don’t think the idea of the pilgrims and the big feast is a good message to send to children. However, I think society has gotten to a place where we mostly just love eating and spending time with family and friends on a random Thursday in November, and that is something I can get behind.

I am so excited for Thanksgiving. I love stuffing and I love napping after eating my body weight in stuffing. However, there is a dilemma I face every year, and that’s what to wear to dinner. There’s a fine line. I want to look cute because of all of the pictures I’m inevitably going to take, but I also want to be comfortable because after dinner I always have the largest food baby known to man.

It’s a complicated issue, but luckily, I’ve spent time curating some of the perfect outfits with strategic layering, flowy silhouettes and comfy textures to hide the fact that I eat half of the mashed potatoes before we even sit down at dinner.

The ugliest-cute shirt you’ve ever seen

I’ll be honest, this is what I’m planning on wearing to Thanksgiving dinner. I’ve had this planned for weeks now. When I saw this shirt for the first time, I knew I had to buy it and I knew it had to be my Thanksgiving shirt. The color scheme is perfect for Fall and just screams, “I don’t support Thanksgiving erasure.”

I paired it with leggings because they’re the comfiest, and I stand by my decision. If you need a rundown of the best leggings to buy with your budget, I’ve got you covered.

Shirt: Madewell

Leggings: Aerie

Boots: Doc Martens

Librarian, but make it chic.

A few months ago, I saw a tweet that was making fun of how girls dress like authors in the Fall. I was hurt for a second, and then I realized I didn’t care because authors are cool. However, it’s definitely because of the fact that sweater cardigans have been and always will be a staple for almost everyone’s wardrobe in the colder months.

I paired a simple grey cardigan with an olive green long sleeve because it’s a nice contrast to all of the rusty-and-warm-tones that tend to surround Thanksgiving as a whole. I did pair it with jeans because, if I’m being honest, that’s what I had on when I tried this on in-store, but it’s still valid. Plus, this is such an easy combination that you can pick any color t-shirt and any silhouette of a cardigan and I promise it will look OK.

Sweater: Madewell

Shirt: Madewell

Jeans: Madewell

It’s not a phase, mom.

My collection of flannels has grown to be a little overwhelming over the years. I have absolutely no more room in my closet for anymore, but I keep acquiring more because no matter how similar they are, there’s always something different about every single one of them. I love my flannels, and I have no shame about that.

If you’re like me and automatically buy flannels three sizes too big, then you’re in luck because this is the perfect outfit to pair with the four servings of turkey we’re all going to eat. If your body looks like it has no shape, no one can judge you for being bloated because they won’t be able to tell.

Flannel: American Eagle (from 2015, but they have so many every year, you can always find something you like)

Leggings: Aerie

Everything’s better with a sweater (dress)

I was a little afraid before I tried this on. I love the idea of a sweater dress, but I’ve always been fearful because dresses tend to make me look super unproportioned and it’s kind of tragic. However, I tried this one on for science and I loved it so much. It’s so flattering. The mock neck gives it a silhouette that’s not too boxy but not too sleek.

It was soft, it was cozy and it is so easy to pair with tights and any boot or bootie. I highly recommend it. This is an especially good option if your family likes to dress up for Thanksgiving.

Sweater dress: Madewell

Tights: Target

A turtleneck you won’t have to worry about staining with cranberry sauce

I’m the messiest eater you’ve ever met. I guarantee that no matter what I’m wearing, there is probably a coffee stain on it somewhere. As much as I love Thanksgiving, a holiday centered around eating usually means my clothes are going to suffer.

When I saw this black turtleneck sweatshirt, I fell in love. It’s so comfy, and no matter how big or small you size it, it falls in a way that’s so flattering for every body type. Plus, it’s dark so you don’t have to worry about washing off any stains you may get on it, and it’s comfy enough that you don’t have to change for your after-dinner nap.

Turtleneck sweatshirt: Madewell

Jeans: Madewell

Thanksgiving outfits can be difficult, but it’s easier once you have a little inspiration. The easiest things to remember are lots of layers, comfy silhouettes and cozy textures.

Cassity is a senior Public Relations and French double major at Hofstra. Her life's mission is to find the best oat milk latte in New York City and live out her dream of someday being as iconic as Carrie Bradshaw. Until then, she's happy to serve as Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra.