This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Winter is the perfect time to indulge in sweet desserts. On snowy days when leaving the house is just about impossible, you can bake to keep yourself entertained (and warm). Your go-to winter outfit most likely involves an oversized knit sweater, so you don’t have to worry about putting on a few extra pounds.  And if woodland creatures can load up on food and hibernate all winter, well, why should they have all the fun? Try making these simple themed desserts the next time the weather outside is frightful.

These chocolaty melting snowmen cookies are clever and super simple to make—a winning combination! The melted vanilla coating makes a sweet topping, but the bite-size peanut butter cup hats steal the show. Get the recipe at BHG.com.

What would a dessert list be without cheesecake? These bite-sized treats offer perfect portions of every ingredient: a strawberry and whipped cream Santa hat, white chocolate cheesecake, and an Oreo crust.  Get the recipe at CookingClassy.com, or take a shortcut and simply top store-bought cheesecake bites with strawberries and whipped cream.

A few well-placed details make these adorable reindeer cookies come to life! Get the full recipe at Bakergirl. Or if you want to reindeer-ify store-bought cookies, use a few dollops of frosting to get your M&Ms and chocolate covered pretzels to stick.

Put a wintry spin on the classic Rice Krispie treat! A cone shape, green food coloring, and a sweet candy “garland” give the simple snack some spirit.  (And did you notice the Reese’s peanut butter cup that works as a tree stand?) Get the recipe at RainingHotCoupons.com.

The full recipe on MrFood.com calls this cookie wreath “pretty enough to be a decoration,” but it’s also simple enough that anyone can make it! Beyond baking, frosting, and adorning with small candy (or sprinkle) “berries,” you just need to arrange the cookies into that attention-grabbing shape.

Emily Windram

Hofstra '15

Emily Windram is a passionate writer with experience in personal and business branding, creative writing, and communications. She graduated from Hofstra in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and History.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!