5 Career Tips from Lauren Berger, the “Intern Queen”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The “Intern Queen” herself, Lauren Berger, came to speak at Hofstra last night and had a lot of great internship tips to dispense (she did, after all, have fifteen internships during her four years in college).

For those of you who couldn’t make it out to see her speak, here are a few of her top tips to share.

1. Be productive about finding an internship. Don’t wait for an internship to come to you—it won’t! Get online and look up internship opportunities. Go to the Career Center and have them critique your resume. Once you’re prepared to apply, do it. If there’s a place you really want to intern, but can’t find the internship information, don’t be afraid to cold call. Once you speak with someone, respond quickly. Send your resume, cover letter, or a follow up that night.

2. Youll get rejected. It sounds harsh, but it will happen, A LOT! Get used to it, and get over it. Once you get rejected, move on. Apply to another internship. If you didn’t get the internship, it wasn’t meant to be. You’ll find one that works for you.

3. Keep in touch, with everyone. If your paths have crossed once, they’ll likely cross again, and you want to make sure you make a good impression. This applies not only to your internship supervisors, but your fellow interns as well. Make a Facebook group for you all to keep in touch, you never know where they’ll end up working. Berger uses the three times a year rule when keeping in touch. Send a quick message three times a year; summer, spring, fall. Also keep in mind birthdays and holidays, those are convenient times to reach out without it seeming fake.

4. Put yourself out there. Go for what you want. Don’t be afraid to ask your internship supervisor questions and use them as a resource. Berger told her Florida internship supervisor that she wanted to intern in New York, and her supervisor helped her find the right contact information. You never know who your internship supervisor, professor, or career counselor will know unless you ask.

5. Internships are important. Even though the majority of internships are unpaid, the opportunity is worth more than money. With internships you’ll gain valuable experience and valuable connections that will help you once you graduate. Berger recommends doing at least two internships before you graduate. Not only will it look great on your resume, but it will help you decide what you want to do once you graduate.

If you’re looking to find an internship, check out the internships on InternQueen.com. Or pick up her book  All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience.

Special thanks to Hofstra’s chapter of PRSSA and The Limited Co. for hosting this successful event.