20 Rules to Living a Happier Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

1.     Be a little selfish. Sometimes it’s okay to put yourself first.

2.     Remember that even the worst days only have 24 hours, so you don’t need to dwell on the bad days.

3.     If you want to eat sweets, eat sweets. Don’t feel guilty for eating that cupcake you were craving.

4.     Tell people how you feel. Bottling up thoughts and feelings will drive you crazy.

5.     Don’t let anyone else determine your worth.

6.     Know who and what you deserve. Walk away from anyone or anything that no longer makes you happy.

7.     Nobody is perfect; one bad action does not define you as a person.

8.     Sometimes it’s better to listen than to talk.

9.     Face your fears, and conquer them.

10. Don’t live your life to please other people, live your life for you.

11. Treat your best friends like their your sisters.

12. Ten years from now you wont remember the one college paper you failed. One bad grade doesn’t make you stupid, it makes you human.

13. Be kind and respect everyone, you never know what someone else is going through.

14. Don’t compare yourself to other people, you are your own person.

15. That boy you thought you liked so much clearly wasn’t worth the time or energy. Stop thinking about him.

16. Don’t cause unnecessary stress for yourself.

17. It’s okay to ask for help when you need it.

18. Life does not revolve around social media.

19. The best things in life are the things money can’t buy.

20. “ Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about” – Marilyn Monroe

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum. 
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!