friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

17 Female Artists from Each Genre to Diversify Your Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Recently, many artists have been hesitant to release music. Especially when everyone first began quarantining in the United States, musicians were hesitant to associate their music with the Coronavirus. However, just because your favorite artists aren’t releasing any music, that doesn’t mean you can’t find anything new to add to your library. Here is a list of female artists to add to your playlists today. 

REI AMI

REI AMI is what the color customizer TikTok filter would be in a musician, in the best way possible. The alternative pop singer tends to experiment with unique sounds, noises and audio filters in her music. A few songs to begin with, if you don’t know where to start, are her hit song “SNOWCONE”, and the single “MAKE IT MINE.”

K. Flay

K.Flay is a bit of a different style of alternative than REI AMI, as she mixes and plays around with both pop-rock and alternative. K. Flay has both a strong, harsh singing voice, as seen in her song “Bad Vibes”, as well as a softer more indie-style voice in her song “High Enough”, which has recently become more popular. 

Cat Burns

Cat Burns is a soft pop South London singer who leans mostly towards acoustic instruments in her work. One of her songs that does not do this is called “Cheater”; a couple of songs of hers that do are “Go” and “I Don’t Blame You.”

Sigrid

Sigrid has the type of music that is both good for dancing, as well as crying, depending on the mood you’re in. A couple of her songs to get you started on both of these things are “Don’t Kill My Vibe”, and “Strangers

Donna Missal

What makes Donna Missal’s music so great is the variety in her voice. She can go from raspier, louder singing to a softer, gentler tone and the listener might not even realize she made the switch so fast. A few of her songs to start with are “Keep Lying” and “Girl

Noname

Noname is not a new breakout artist in any way. She’s been making successful singles and albums for quite a while now. However, her name is on this recommendation list because of the fact that she is generally underrated beyond the rap community itself. One of her newer songs, “Song 33”, and “Don’t Forget About Me” are two great ones to start with if you haven’t listened to her yet.  

Flo Milli

Flo Milli has quite literally become the Queen of TikTok audios, and for good reason. To listen to a few TikTok audio clips in their entirety, check out “May I”, “Beef FloMix” and “In the Party

Rico Nasty

Rico Nasty is a beautiful blend of Rap and Punk music. She’s been a rising artist for quite a while now. Check out her songs “IPHONE” and “Rage“– also her feature on the song “Jawbreaker,” because it’s just that good.

Maren Morris

Marren Morris is lovely. Recently she released a song called “Better Than We Found It”, calling on America to do better, and highlighting the Black Lives Matter movement. A few more of her songs to take a look at are “Rich” and “GIRL

Alex Stern

Alex Stern, for the most part, is very much so pre-breakout. Some songs of hers to listen to are “The Choice” and “John Wayne”. 

Jorja Smith

Again, while she is not a rising artist, beyond her own music community, she is heavily underrated. Jorja Smith makes painful moments sound so beautiful. A few of her songs to listen to are “The One” and “By Any Means.

Dounia

Dounia has a very grounding voice, one that contrasts very well with the types of beats and instrumentals she uses in her music. Some starter songs for Dounia would be “Rich Girl Mood” (which is absolutely exquisite in every way) and “Casablanca.”

Mahalia

Mahalia makes indie pop music for driving down the road with the windows down on a rainy day. Some songs to check out of hers, if you ever find yourself in the situation mentioned above, are “Plastic Plants,” “No Pressure,” and “What You Did.” 

Crumb

Crumb makes the listener feel like they’re in a Parisian cafe, listening to the featured artist playing tonight. Their music is slow and jazzy. A few songs to listen to by them are “Plants” and “Recently Played.”

Maude Latour

Maude Latour is going to be the next big artist. Many have compared her to Lorde, as her somber voice carries well through both her more upbeat songs, as well as her slower ones. Look to her songs “Ride My Bike” and “Starsick” to get a feel for her music (also be sure to check out her TikTok. She’s always writing and posting music).

Remi Wolf

Remi Wolf invented fun, exciting, experimental music. A few of her songs to listen to are “Shawty” and “Doctor.”

Vagabond

Vagabond has both a great voice and a great aesthetic. Just watching seeing her cover art would get anyone hooked. Songs to start off with are her hit “The Embers” and “Water Me Down.”

The artists in these lists are just simply a starting off point. The reality is, there are so many amazing female musicians in every single genre, and it’s up to you to craft your perfect library. Hopefully, you saw a few new names on this list, and are excited to check them out!

I am a sophomore at Hofstra University. I'm really interested in everything entertainment industry-related, and social issues!