ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to Beat Mid Semester Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I think it is safe to say that all of us know “the feeling”. We get way more tired than usual. Readings seem so much longer. The first month of college flew by, but now every day stretches on and on. It’s the dreaded mid-semester burnout. Whether you’re a freshman or a graduate student, you’ve just hit some big, invisible wall, and suddenly college is so much more overwhelming and exhausting. If it seems like I’m speaking from first-hand experience, it’s because I am.

That being said, I have also survived two mid-semester burnouts. And, incredibly, I’m actually doing really well this semester, even though my classes are more difficult, and I am in more clubs. Before continuing to read this article, take a deep breath. You’ve got this. We’re all in this together. Now, here are 10 ways to absolutely annihilate the mid-semester burnout (I know that seems a little aggressive, but we have to face the beast head-on).

Recognize that you’re a badass for being in college.

Simply being in college is such an incredibly impressive feat in and of itself. Give yourself some credit! If you’re a freshman, adjusting to college can be quite difficult. But you did it! You are here and learning! Good for you! Seniors, you’re coming down the homestretch. You have persevered through some of the most formative years of your life. Congrats! That’s pretty amazing. Long story short, acknowledge that even though you are overwhelmed, you’re still an amazing person.

Have a fun day.

Sometimes, you just have to get off campus. Find somewhere to go. As a sophomore without a car, I understand that transportation can be difficult. However, a lot of colleges have shuttles to nearby malls or other local areas. Take advantage of these free resources. Hofstra is very close to New York City, for example, and the school provides an hourly shuttle to a train station. You do not need to travel outside of town, though. For us, the shuttle also stops at a plaza with a Barnes and Noble, aka the holy place of reading and relaxation. Or find some parks! If you are still having good weather, spend the day outside. I call these recharge days. Focus on yourself, and chances are, you’ll feel much better.

A post shared by katie pericak (@katiepericak) on

Find a new show on Netflix to watch with a friend (or friends).

Binge-watching Netflix is fun, and it can give you a much-needed break. However, if you are anything like me, you might withdraw from socializing as you get more stressed. I tend to spend more time in my room or in the library. Even as an introvert, human interaction is important, thus leading to this tip. Find a show to watch with a buddy. First of all, this lengthens the experience. One show can take at least a week to get through, providing you with something to look forward to every day. Secondly, the anticipation of waiting to watch the next episode is only made better when there are other people as excited as you. Remember how we used to hold our breaths every week for the next episode American Idol? This pretty much recreates that.

Go over your schedule.

You are absolutely allowed to cut things out of your life if they are causing you too much stress. Make a schedule, and plan out your weeks. If there is an event, like a club or a meeting, that is just not going to happen, do not force it. If you were planning on going out one night, but you just don’t feel up to it, don’t go. It is completely okay to cancel plans (as long as you do so in advance and with a response appropriate to the situation). You have to have time to breathe!

Listen to a podcast.

My mom recently texted me about a new podcast that she had found, and now I am also hooked. Podcasts are great for students on the go. You can listen to them on the way to class, at the gym, or just by yourself in your room. Also, there are podcasts for literally any kind of interest, and a lot of them are made by people simply driven by their love for sharing their passions. Explore! Find your favorites. I have to plug my current addiction: “Ologies”, catchphrase: ask smart people dumb questions. The host, Alie Ward, talks to an -ologist every episode about their specific field of expertise. Did you know that sharks’ teeth take on new shapes with age to adapt to their changing diets? Now you do, thanks to the amazing Alie Ward.

A post shared by Ologies (@ologies) on

Go to a professor’s office hours.

A lot of your stress is going to come from your classes. Take advantage of office hours. There, you get one-on-one time with your professor to work out specific questions or topics. Also, professors really appreciate when their students reach out to them. Remember, they love what they teach, and even more, they love teaching students. I always find it reassuring and helpful to connect with my professors.

Talk to a professional.

If you are feeling too overwhelmed or anxious, or you’re approaching a point of feeling dysfunctional, getting help is a totally acceptable and good thing to do. I saw a therapist for the entirety of my freshman year, and he really helped me to sort things out when I was unable to do so by myself. A lot of campuses have mental health resources available, and you can also reach out to guidance counselors, religious leaders, or RA’s. You know yourself better than anyone, and you can tell when something is off. Trust your instincts, and talk to someone.

Eat healthy and drink water.

Yes, pizza is great. Ice cream is the best, especially when it’s at 11 pm. But also, you have to take care of your body! Junk food is fun and a great reward, but remember, if both your mind and your body are mentally taxed, your semester is going to be ten times worse. Stay hydrated, too. These are all little things that every single one of us, including myself, are guilty of forgetting. Take care of the basics so that you can better focus on papers, deadlines, and club meetings.

Wash your bed sheets, pillows, and blankets.

Hear me out on this one. We (hopefully) sleep every night. Those blankets can get very dirty very quickly. Pillowcases, too, can get pretty gross. A lot of us break out when we are stressed, and sleeping on a dirty pillowcase does not help anyone. Wash those sheets! Besides, I don’t know about you, but I always feel very *adult* after I wash all of my blankets and sheets. That’s a good feeling.

Have a stay-at-home night with your friends.

Chances are, all of your friends feel the same way that you do. Reach out to them, and get everyone together for the night. Get some takeout, face-mask it up, and play some games. I recently played Trivial Pursuit with three of my friends, and to be honest, I had the time of my life. Recently, I was supposed to watch a comedy special with another group of friends, but we ended up  eating popcorn and talking for three hours straight. Spend time with people who love and appreciate you. It makes your life so much better.

As I have said before, you’ve got this. Halloweekend is coming up and fall weather (and sweater season) has finally arrived. You have so many amazing things to look forward to, so don’t let this burnout get you down.

Becca Lo Presti is a junior at Hofstra University, where she is pursuing a BA in History with minors in Art History and French. She interns at the Nassau County Museum of Art and is also an on-campus Fellow at the Center for Civic Engagement. Huge fan of podcasts, dislikes the fact that she had to start drinking coffee this semester.