10 Unique Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Coming up with the perfect date, especially if it’s the first date, can be a challenging task. Not only can dates be expensive, but doing the typical night at the movies or going to a nice restaurant can get old after awhile. If you’re looking to try something new, want an activity that won’t break the bank, or have just run out of ideas, try planning one of these dates over the weekend.

1. Picnic in the park.

Whether you make the meal yourself or together, just pack up some food, grab a blanket and head to a cute little park on a nice, sunny day. A picnic comes without the overpriced meals that a restaurant would provide and allows the two of you to spend time together while avoiding the whole ‘who’s going to pay’ discussion altogether.

2. Apple Picking.

If the two of you love fall, then the perfect fall activity to do would be to go apple picking. Spend the day at one of your local apple orchards picking apples that you can later turn into a homemade apple pie. Afterwards, the two of you can enjoy some fresh cider doughnuts as you sit and enjoy the cool weather fall brings, maybe even grabbing the perfect pumpkin before you leave.

3. Rock climbing.

Feeling adventurous? Take your date rock climbing. Whether it be indoor or outdoor, it’ll definitely be a fun and new experience for you to enjoy together. Just make sure your date isn’t afraid of heights!

4. Stargazing.

Though a bit cheesy, this is one of the most romantic activities for the two of you to do. As you lay down next to each other, you can look up and admire the beauty of the night while getting a chance to talk to one another without any distractions.

5. Mini golf.

A classic, lighthearted and fun activity for you and your date to do one weekend. It’s a relaxed environment which can allow the two of you to get to know one another better. Also, if the two of you are competitive, you can keep score and see who the best mini-golfer truly is.

6. Haunted House.

If you’re looking for something spooky to do together this fall, then take the opportunity to go to a haunted house or haunted forest. Not only does it give you the perfect excuse to be held in their arms, but you’ll quickly find out which one of you is the bravest.

7. Museum.

Taking a trip to a museum is the perfect kind of date if you’re looking for some conversation starters. With a variety of museums to choose from the two of you explore one that is quirky and unique, like the Museum of the Moving Image.

8. Food Festival.

For you foodies, this is a great date to go on, because not only is the food inexpensive, but it gives the two of you the opportunity to branch out and try new foods together.

9. See a new band.

Take a night and hit up a small venue that doesn’t feature headliners, but instead presents new up and coming artists. Not only do you get to listen to some new music, but you’ll be in good company too.

10. Thrift Shopping.

Last but not least, trade going to the mall for a date of thrift shopping. Find some small vintage stores and go digging for that perfect find. Even if the two of you don’t buy anything, the memories will surely be treasured.

These dates allow you and your special someone to create a fun and memorable experience with one another. Whether it’s your first date with someone new or you’ve been together for years, it’s always exciting to try something different.

Rylee Johnston is senior at Hofstra University studying  journalism. She has a passion for traveling and entertainment, and even spent four months abroad in London. When she isn't blogging about her travels, you can find her watching The Bachelor or planning her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @ryleejuanita.