The Perfect Dessert for Christmas – Mulled Wine Cheesecake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Christmas season is the time when it is socially acceptable to stuff your face with sweets and goodies and not feel guilty about it (not until New Year’s, that is). Chocolate is of course the most popular choice, but it is easy to overdose on chocolate before the holidays officially even begin. Sometimes it is good to have something a bit more light and refreshing — introducing the mulled wine cheesecake! This cake draws inspiration from the traditional flavors of Finnish Christmas, aka mulled wine, cinnamon and plums, and is basically Christmas in one spoonful. If you’ve never tried it, now’s your chance! The cake is easy to make but it requires a lot of time, so it is best if done the night before serving.

Ingredients:

Base:

150 g gingerbread cookies

50 g melted butter

Filling:

2 dl double cream

400 g cream cheese

400 g flavored quark, cinnamon & plum (e.g. Valio)

100 g Tähtitorttu plum marmalade

1/2 dl sugar

2 tsp vanilla sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

5 gelatine leaves

2 tbsp water

Jello topping:

5 gelatine leaves

4 dl mulled wine

Instructions:

Start by placing the gelatine leaves in cold water for them to soften. Melt the butter in a microwave and while it cools, smash the gingerbread cookies into small crush. Mix the butter with the crushed cookies and press on to the bottom of a springform pan. Whisk the double cream and mix in the cream cheese, quark and the plum marmalade, then add the sugars and cinnamon. Bring the water to a boil in a small pot, squeeze the extra water off from the gelatine and mix with the water. Let it cool for a moment, then carefully pour into the cheesecake mix. Spread the mixture evenly on top of the cookie base and put in the fridge to set for a few hours. 

When the cake is set, you can start preparing the jello topping. Again, soften the gelatine leaves in cold water. Heat up the mulled wine in a pot, but this time add the gelatine leaves just before the liquid starts to boil. Let it cool. Carefully pour the mulled wine on top of the cake and then put it back into the fridge to set for another few hours. 

Decorate the finished cake with grated white chocolate, gingerbread crumbs and cinnamon sticks. Enjoy! 

Picture by author

An English major who suffers from continuous wanderlust and too-many-books-too-little-time syndrome.