nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Happier You: 3 Things You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Living a happy life can sometimes be easier said than done. Life can be hectic for young collegiettes, and it’s easy to forget about the most fundamental building blocks of well-being while stressing about deadlines, relationships, and blackheads at the same time! Fortunately, knowing is half the battle – and the things you need to know about happiness are really quite simple.

1. Know what makes you happy

Happiness isn’t always necessarily about the big things. It’s often said that the happiest people are those who remember to appreciate the small things in life – unfortunately those small joys are easy to overlook or take for granted. But it’s never too late to start paying attention to them!

Start noticing small things in your day that put you in a good mood. It could be the smell of fresh coffee in the morning. Or the new pair of warm, comfy woolly socks you got for Christmas. Or that feeling of accomplishment after a workout (or even just a small walk). Whatever these things are for you, grab a pen and paper and write them down! You will probably notice that there are lots of small things in life to feel grateful and excited about. This exercise will help you to be mindful of the good things you have in your life, and give you a guideline of what happiness means to you in general – next time you’re feeling down, you’ll know what kind of small life choices could help lift your mood.

2. Know who makes you happy

Living with other human beings can be tough sometimes. Miscommunication, frustration, and irritation can sometimes make an appearance even in the best of friendships, family ties, or other relationships. Although humans aren’t perfect, and we get on each others nerves from time to time, having social ties is crucial to us. And most of the time they do provide us with feelings of joy, security, and being cared for.

But if negativity seems to be the rule instead of the exception when it comes to a relationship, it’s time to consider if that person really needs to be a part of your life right now. Maybe there are people in your life who constantly bail on you, or tend to put you down a lot, or guilt trip you into doing things you don’t want to… While we all make mistakes, these kind of behavioral patterns are downright stressful and none of us deserve to be treated like that! It’s okay to say no to bad company – and equally important to value and nurture the good relationships you have in your life. Surround yourself with people who treat you with kindness and respect, and whose critisism is constructive instead of destructive – and remember to treat others with the same attitude too!

3. Know what to do when you aren’t happy

Bad days are a just a fact of life. While we cannot always protect ourselves from the rough patches, it’s important to know how to deal with the hardships. Stress, heartache, troubles in friendships, or low self-confidence can sometimes lead us to bad choices: we try to cope with negativity with more negativity, such as procrastination, gossiping, unhealthy foods and drinks, or putting ourselves down. While a chocolate bar and a TV-show marathon every once in a while will not throw your life upside down, it’s good to learn to cope with bad days in other ways too.

A few healthier ways to get yourself back on track during stressful times might include exercising, meditation, or talking to a loved one. Not only do these methods provide pretty instant stress-relief, but they are also beneficial for your long-term well-being.

A 22-year-old anthropology student from Helsinki. Music, photography, and poetry are close to my heart.