10 Tips for Moving in Together With Your SO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Are you all loved up with your SO and planning on taking the next step in your relationship? Before giving up your apartment, read our tips on how to make your move as smooth as possible!

1. Don’t do it just because it’s convenient

This is not a decision to be made just for the sake of convenience. You should move in together because you want to share your lives together, not because it’s cheaper to share the living costs. Living together is not always dancing on roses and at some point, you’re bound to have arguments. And when you do, you want to remember why you chose to live together in the first place – NOT to have any doubts about either one of your motives.

2. Talk about the important stuff beforehand

Moving together is the first step for spending the rest of your lives together. Are you both ready for that? Make sure you talk about all the important things, such as where do you see yourself in five years, do you want to get married, how much money do you make, who’s going to cover what expenses etc., beforehand so you won’t get unpleasant surprises right after you’ve returned your keys to HOAS.

3. Make sure that you both bring some important things to your new home

When you move in together, it’s very important that both of you get to bring some of your important things with you from your previous home. If one of you is moving into the other’s place, make sure that you make some space for the other person’s stuff, too. This makes it easier for both of you to feel at home and not like you’re living in someone else’s house.

4. Think about what you really need and what you are ready to give away

Even though it’s important that you both get to bring your things to your new home, have a close look at all your stuff together and discuss what items you really need and what can be given away. You don’t want to fill your beautiful new home with old stuff that no one ever uses!

5. Get help for the move-in day

Moving can be super stressful. Ask your friends for help well in advance and make sure that you can get a big enough car to use. If you can spare any extra money, consider hiring professional movers. That will take away so much pressure from you as you don’t need to worry about how to carry heavy furniture and how to pack everything so that it won’t break – and you can just enjoy your big day.

6. Give each other space

Even if you’re together all the time, it doesn’t mean you have to do everything together. Remember to keep in touch with your own friends and sometimes things as simple as sitting next to each other on the couch doing your own things can be really nice and refreshing.

7. Don’t be afraid of arguments

Arguing is a totally normal part of any relationship and when you live together in close quarters, you’re bound to have disagreements every now and then. However, never be disrespectful towards your SO, even if you’re feeling like exploding. Instead of saying things like “You ALWAYS do this and you NEVER do that”, try to be calm and explain how you feel. Also, make sure to always make up and discuss about the issue afterwards, don’t just leave it unresolved. Getting through arguments can even make you stronger and closer as a couple when you notice that disagreeing with each other doesn’t mean that you don’t love each other anymore and that you can always get through hard times in the end.

8. Don’t take each other for granted

The fact that you live together and will soon know pretty much everything about each other doesn’t mean you have to leave the bathroom door open or can stop caring about your SO or your relationship. Take each other out for dates, ask how their day was and don’t forget to say “I love you” – even when you’ve yet again had to pick up their dirty socks from the floor.

9. Accept that your life is not a romantic comedy

No, your SO won’t bring you flowers every day, they won’t always say just the right thing and they might not remember your anniversary – unless you remind them! Life is not like a movie and when you’ve been together for a long time, your relationship may at times seem a little too familiar and uneventful. This is, again, completely normal and perfectly OK, you just need to see the beauty in it! This doesn’t mean that you can’t expect anything from each other. You still need to take care of each other and romance shouldn’t be reserved only for special occasions. But remember that just because there will be evenings when you are both tired from the day and don’t feel like cuddling all the time, doesn’t mean that you don’t love each other anymore or that there is something wrong with your relationship. Having a person with whom you can be totally yourself, both at your best and at your worst, is the most beautiful thing in the world, you just need to remind yourself of that every once in a while.

10. Celebrate!

Moving together is a huge deal! Once you’re settled, throw a party for all your friends to celebrate your love and, who knows, you might even get some useful items for your new home as housewarming gifts!

An English Philology major and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Helsinki. In addition to Her Campus, I love good food, travelling, politics and cute dresses. My real passion is cookbooks, which I own way too many, and some day I would love to write one myself.