kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fueling Your Fitness Drive: 5 Ways to Stay Motivated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Just because it’s called the Freshman 15 doesn’t mean only freshman are at risk. The new school year has started, and now after the first few weeks, your motivation to be active and kick butt in every aspect of your life is dwindling.

The first to go is usually your drive to go to the gym, so here are a few ways to maintain that motivation!

1. Use The Buddy System

It’s easy to face yourself when you decide to bingewatch your new netflix obsession instead of making the long trek to the gym, but it’s a lot harder to bail on a friend. If you can, make your workout buddy your roommate or someone you normally see everyday. This removes any temptation to lie and say you’re “too busy” because you know she’s going to see you. Your workout buddy will be there to drag your butt out for some exercise on days when you want nothing of it.

If you still refuse and she goes on without you, the overwhelming guilt prevents that from ever happening again. If you’ve made a commitment to someone other than yourself, you’re probably going to be more likely to keep it.

2. Get New Gear

Getting new workout clothes can be a great motivator. It’s hard to want to get excited to go anywhere if you don’t feel good about your appearance, and the gym is no exception. A new workout outfit can give you the boost of confidence you  need to have a great workout and make you keep coming back for more! Forever21 has a great, affordable selection of activewear to spice up your workout fashion.

3. Shake Up Your Routine

Going on the elliptical every day can get monotonous and make you lose your motivation.

There are plenty of ways to get some exercise so don’t feel like your limited to the gym equipment. You can explore the island and go on a hike. One of the best hikes to get a good workout in is Koko Head Crater! 

But please beware, this one does kill your legs!

Did you know the Warrior Recreational Center has fitness classes ranging from boxing to zumba? These are completely free with your student ID! There are plenty of different ways to stay active in Hawaii, so take advantage of all we have to offer!

4.  Find Something To Train For

Having an end goal is a great way to keep yourself motivated to workout. Sign up for a 5k that’s a few months away. Usually these events cost a small amount of money, too. Once you pay, you will want to keep up your fitness regimine so that you can actually get some value out of what you paid for.  Did you know the Color Run is coming in November? These runs are totally fun for everyone involved and it gives you a great incentive to keep working out.

5. Post Your Progress

Posting your workout daily on facebook, twitter, or instagram makes you feel like people are watching your progress, so if you skip a day and don’t post, people will know! It leaves you accountable to all your followers and friends. People do take notice of the consistency and will post words of encouragement to keep you inspired to continue. And who knows? Maybe displaying your discipline might inspire a few others along the way! If you are putting in the hard work, you should feel proud and share with your friends and family!

Stay Motivated Colliegettes!

Rachel is a senior studying Business Management at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She treads the fine line of busy colliegette and overwhelmed stress ball. She enjoys running, hiking, and being outdoors, but willing to trade that in for a day of netflix and intermittent naps.
Hawaii Contributor Account