A Busy Girl’s Guide to Mental Health Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

As the semester winds down, your stress levels tend to amp up. With midterms winding down, but finals looming around the corner, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. If you’re feeling stretched thin, it might be time to think about taking a “Mental Health Day.”

We’ve all sacrificed a bit of our sanity here and there to keep up with school and other responsibilities, but at some point it’s important to remind yourself that your happiness and comfort is a priority. Running yourself ragged will only make your workload feel heavier, make daily tasks harder, and make any progress or achievement difficult to enjoy. Mental health is imperative. It’s right up there with physical health. If you don’t eat, sleep, or take basic care of your body, you’re gonna feel like cr*p.

Same goes for your brain. Once in a while you need to take a step back, relax, and decompress. Besides simply helping you feel better overall, it will help you be more productive and handle day-to-day stress in a healthier way. A Mental Health Day is a great way to do just this. It’s got all the perks of a sick day, but you don’t need to fake a tummy ache.

So here it is… my how-to on making the most of your much-needed day off.

1. Stay in bed. Turn off your alarm and sleep in as long as you want. This may not be difficult for a lot of people, but some of us can have a hard time fighting the urge to jump up and get cracking on that to-do list. This is the time to listen to your body, however. If you feel like you could use a little extra time under the covers, then don’t you move. Sleep is essential for mental and physical health.

2. Prioritize physical comfort. Throw on your favorite comfy clothes. It doesn’t seem like a big deal, but besides the nice feeling of a good pair of sweats, staying in PJs can help keep your brain in chill mode. It’s another small reminder that you should take it easy, and that you deserve the little comforts.

3. Get some good food. While comfort-eating on a regular basis isn’t especially healthy, food is an important tool when it comes to self-care. Indulge a bit in a good meal; whether it’s take-out or homemade, pick something that you genuinely enjoy and let go of any guilt.

4. Pamper yourself. Give your body that little extra bit of attention you don’t normally have time for. Treat your skin to a new facemask, and your hair to a deep conditioning treatment. Break out your favorite nail polish, and engage in some aromatherapy with a scented candle and body lotion (Bath and Body Work’s Stress Relief body lotion is one of my personal favs). When you’re feeling good on the outside, it’s easier to feel good on the inside. Taking the time to pamper yourself is especially important for those of us who have been skipping the daily self-care to keep up with the demands of college life. Remember to take care of the skin you’re in.

5. Breathe. Release the tension in your shoulders. Do some light yoga or meditation if that’s your thing. The most important part of a Mental Health Day is to relax in whatever way makes you feel most comfortable. This is my list of go-to’s, but it’s important to embrace your own personal stress-relief strategies.

None of this is to say that it’s not sometimes necessary to put a little pressure on yourself to be successful; that’s part of the deal. College is all about learning how to handle the pressures and expectations of adult life, and it’s very much trial and error. Experiment with some new ways to relax and embrace the challenges of daily life. It’s important to take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally, so do yourself a favor and be a little lazy.

Cover image courtesy of https://drprem.com/life/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2012/03/136222017.jpg

Bridget is an English major with a passion for good story-telling. A Bay Area native, she loves hiking, swimming, camping, and especially napping. She splits most of her time between coaching the YMCA swim team, working her restaurant job, keeping up with school, and hanging out with friends... but her favorite evenings are spent with a good wine and a better book.
Lena is a student at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She is pursuing a Communciations degree with a focus in Digital Media, as well as dual minors in Business and English. In her free time, she loves being president of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and snorkeling on the weekends!