This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

A little over four years ago, I walked into my first yoga class, not entirely sure what to expect. I imagined that I would be standing in tree pose for extended amounts of time like the typical yoga pictures sometimes showcase, and I certainly was not at all flexible. However, I walked out of that first class knowing I had found something that would continuously benefit my personal wellbeing. So, I’d like to share five ways yoga can transform your life, just as it transformed mine.

Foster a mind-body connection

Yoga works to bridge the connection between the physical and nonphysical. When moving throughout the poses, you are physically stretching and flowing into different postures. At the same time, your breath reflects the movements, each inhale and exhale perfectly timed. Finding moments of stillness in this dynamic allows you to scan your body, recognizing parts that perhaps are tense from long days spent at a desk, while simultaneously calming the mind.

Destress and reconnect

Between homework, classes, work, and other extra-curriculars, it can be difficult to find time to prioritize self-care. Not only does yoga provide physical exercise, but it allows you to commit a portion of the day to yourself that will help to relieve anxiety and stress.

Gain flexibility and strength

Yoga is an excellent way to get the body active, while also increasing your flexibility as you stretch in different postures. Depending on the type of yoga, such as the more rigorous ashtanga (the type of yoga I practice!), vinyasa, or hot yoga, your strength and stamina will definitely increase as you create a consistent practice.

Experience a moving meditation

Most yoga types deeply emphasize the importance of the breath and calming the mind throughout the practice. Of course, breathing comes automatically, but often throughout the day we tend to become unconscious of the quality of our breaths, perhaps unknowingly taking shallow inhales and exhales. When we focus on drawing out the inhale and exhale, immediately the heart rate slows, anxiety smooths out, and we begin to feel calmer as we are nudged to look inward. Between intentional breathing and accompanying movements, one can settle into stillness and step into the concept of a “moving meditation”.

Yoga is always there

Whether at college, home for the holidays, or even traveling, you can always take some time to unroll your mat and practice yoga, even if you don’t have access to a yoga studio. On another note, whether you show up to your practice joyous, stressed, anxious, or sad, yoga offers a way to leave the worries of past and future behind, and simply focus on the present as you flow through your practice.

My personal yoga practice has become a crucial part of my week, and I know it will continue to follow me throughout my life. It has lent a helping hand in my lowest times, consistently reminds me to let go of daily stresses, and has brought an elevated level of presence and mindfulness into my days. What first intrigued me as a unique way to exercise and gain flexibility, has become so much more. Most of all, truly anyone can practice yoga. So, consider incorporating it into your life as well, and experience all the benefits yoga has to offer.

Ashley is currently a junior at Boston University. She is majoring in conservation and ecology biology with an interest in marine and wildlife conservation. In her free time she loves to practice yoga, read, create wellness content for her instagram @soulfullyashley, and surf when she can make it to the beach.
Hawaii Contributor Account