Wellness

10 Ways to De-Stress This Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s getting to be midterm season again, and I know that I’m stressed out. I definitely am in need of some de-stressors, and I am sure some of you are as well. Hopefully, some of these sound great to you and will help you mellow out after a stressful day of testing.

Arts and Crafts

There are so many different options to choose from, such as needlepoint, painting, and sketching. Art is a great way for me to channel emotions, and after a long day of stressful tests, it is a great way to unwind.

Watch Your Favorite Movie

Nothing beats chilling out on the couch (or your bed) with some good movie snacks and your favorite movie. It’s a fantastic way to turn off your brain for a while and just relax.

Stream a Show

Much like the one above, this is a great option to relax. It also might be a better option for those of us with shorter attention spans or for those of us who are exhausted after midterms.

Go on a Hike

Getting out in nature is a great way to decompress. Hawai’i offers numerous, beautiful hikes, and I love to take advantage of them often, especially after a particularly hard week.

Go For a Drive

Sometimes going for a drive with no particular destination is a great way to relax. I like to go on drives to clear my head, especially if I’ve just been dealing with a stressful situation.

Go to The Beach

The beach is great because there are so many options for things to do once you’re there. You could sunbathe, read a book, go swimming, build a sandcastle, and so much more! It’s a great option for those of us who can’t decide on just one thing.

Play a Game

This one is a great option because you could do it as a solo activity, or with your friends. You could go the traditional route and play a board game, or you could play a videogame! Sometimes a little bit of friendly competition is the perfect way to relax and let loose after a tough day or tough week.

Read a Book

Reading is a great way to escape the stress. You can completely immerse yourself in a whole different world for a while.

Bake Your Favorite Treat

I love baking, and I love a good excuse to make my favorite dessert. It is a great way to reward yourself for surviving your midterms.

Play Music

This is my favorite way to de-stress. I like to just lay down on my bed and play some music through my headphones and check out from reality for a while. It’s a great option for me because I could either lay down and do nothing, or I could be doing some other activity simultaneously!

Shae Walker

Hawaii '23

Shae currently studies Communications at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa and is the Campus Correspondent for HCHawai'i. In her spare time, Shae likes to listen to music, hike, and cook.