I Can Ride My Bike With New “Handle Bar”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

There’s a new spot in Harvard Square with bass-heavy music, strobe lights, and lots of sweaty people. No, it’s not a new club, or the newly co-ed Spee.

It’s The Handle Bar, the new Boston-based indoor cycling studio located at 1030 Massachusetts Avenue. The Handle Bar uses a motivating instructor, invigorating music, and your own intrinsic sense of competitiveness and determination to create a fast-paced spin class similar to SoulCycle. The Handle Bar already has numerous Harvard student patrons, including Pauline Ryan ’17, a long-time attendee of SoulCycle and new patron of The Handle Bar. Pauline remarks, “I love taking spin classes back home and was so excited when I heard that The Handle Bar had opened in the square! The Handle Bar, like SoulCycle and FlyWheel, offers incredible 45-minute workouts that are so easy to fit in my daily schedule. I recommend bringing friends!”

The Handle Bar’s 45-minute classes push you to your limit by allowing you to decide your own level of resistance on the stationary bike. While the workout is obviously focused on strengthening your legs and core, an arm-intensive exercise is incorporated with the use of a weighted—you guessed it—handlebar. Adrienne Propp ’17 comments on the physical and social aspects of The Handle Bar: “After going to The Handle Bar with a bunch of my friends, I think it’ll become a regular activity for us. It was a great class (extremely challenging if you want it to be), with fun music and a helpful, energetic instructor. It reminds me of SoulCycle but might even be a bit more laid-back. Maybe that’s because it’s new though. I’m sure this will gain popularity quickly.”

Want to sign up for the hidden gem before it becomes the hottest place on campus? Walk in at the Mass Ave location at almost any hour of the day or sign up online, and for $15 as a student, you can participate in the new craze, almost cultish workout that is The Handle Bar. I promise, you won’t regret it.

See workout schedules and FAQs

--
harvard contributor