Harvard HealthPALs, A Campus Resource Gem!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

There are so many resources on Harvard’s campus, and it can be difficult to know about all of them. One standout student resource, however, is Harvard HealthPALs. The PALs stands for Peer Advisors and Liaisons. I am on the board of this health peer education group, and it is one of the most useful resources on campus.

At Harvard, it can be really hard to prioritize your health. Harvard University Health Services can be slow, and getting an appointment and what you need can be a tedious process. However, every HealthPAL at Harvard goes through rigorous training to learn the ins and outs of University Health Services. We are here to help students navigate the system and get the most out of their student health fee and student health insurances. Harvard HealthPALs hold office hours in the dining halls of the dorms where students can get help with how their student health fees and insurance work, as well as finding information on their primary care team and scheduling appointments. 

HealthPALs’ goal on campus is to promote and educate about health and wellbeing. We serve as the bridge between college students and health services. We help to organize free flu clinics in the houses, as well as organize educational events around campus. Most importantly, however, each HealthPAL is equipped with a medicine kit that contains over the counter medicines and first aid items. Students can reach out to a HealthPAL and receive these medicines and items for free! It is a super helpful resource for students who don’t have the time or the means to acquire these medicines themselves. Most of the houses on campus have at least one or two HealthPALs who have medicine kits for the students!

To find out more about Harvard HealthPALs and who the HealthPAL in your house is, visit our website at http://www.harvardhealthpals.com/

I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!