This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As dedicated college students, there comes a time in the year where we physically and mentally burn ourselves out unintentionally. Whether it be before midterms week or Thanksgiving break, we are trying to get in as much studying as we can, keep up with organizations and prepare for the upcoming semester. It’s a hard act to keep up with, to say the least, but with everything going on in your busy schedule, it’s important that you allow time to rest and regroup.

We are all too familiar with the effects that stress can have on our personal lives. Breakouts, insomnia, low energy, and headaches are all signs of a demanding week getting the best of us. There are also those times where an occasional junk food binge is just totally worth it after a long day. Getting a full night of rest seems nearly impossible when your mind is still thinking about what has to be done and how you are going to get it done. By the end of the week, you’re practically drained and searching for the nearest bed or couch; as you should be.

For the sake of your mental health and well-being, setting aside time for yourself is key to keeping up with life’s demands. If you give yourself one hour a day or even one day a week to focus on your needs, reflect on your accomplishments, and give your mind a break, you will begin to notice a difference in the way you feel. By doing this, you can save yourself from the burn of built up stress. It’s possible to push yourself without pushing yourself over the edge. Know how much you can handle without weighing yourself down and don’t give away all your time without saving any for yourself.

During these times of self-reflection, encouragement will also help you keep your eyes on the big goal and keep yourself motivated! Remember these things as you move forward to another week:

1. Your hard work and dedication don’t go unnoticed

2. Everything that is meant for you will come in due time

3. You have come so far; keep going

4. Failure only hinders you if you allow it to

5. You are capable of amazing things​

Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.