Wellness

From Pessimism to Optimism: Living a Life of Positivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Are you the type of person that looks on the bright side or are you the person that thinks your world is always falling apart? These two people can be boiled down to two descriptors: the optimistic vs. the pessimistic person. To get a better understanding, an optimistic person is someone that is hopeful and confident about their future. A pessimistic person is someone that tends to see the worst aspects of life or believes that the worst will happen. Another way to describe these two types of people is that optimistic people look at life as if the glass is half full and pessimistic people look at the glass half empty.

Pessimism can be dangerous because it can lead to stress, anxiety, self-doubt, low self confidence and much more. It is important to not live like this and I personally can attest to this since I have a pessimistic attitude and now I am on my journey to becoming more optimistic in life. Whether you failed that test or didn’t get the grade you wanted or you are in an argument with those around you or someone hurt you, it is important to remember the possibilities rather than impossibilities. This is one way that optimistic people live, they do not let the things around them keep them down but look on the “bright side.” To enjoy life optimistically, get rid of negative words; don’t talk down about yourself or say negative things that can be put into existence. Remember the next time you say “I’m going to fail that test” put a positive spin on it and say that you will pass. Words have power and what you say and think about yourself negatively will come to light. Speak about what you are hopeful for and the chances life has to offer. Speak about all the things you like about yourself instead of the all the negative things you think about yourself. Get inspired. Whether that be listening to music or going out to find opportunities and explore new things, it can bring joy and make you feel hopeful about what is yet to come. Acknowledge the things you can and cannot control. This is very important because things don’t always go your way. Pessimistic people have trouble with this because they think about the worst case scenario when they should just relax and let things happen the way they should. Trying to control aspects that literally are not up to you are things that can stress you out and believe me, it is not worth it. If you’re not doing good in a class, get it together and improve yourself. I thought it was very important to write this article because sometimes life is hard and you might not radiate positivity all the time. With the negative energy you continuously spread, it only becomes you that is not as happy as you should be. I myself recognize that I have a pessimistic attitude but I am trying to be more optimistic about the way I look at my life and what is going on around me. I wanted to share what I have learned with you to encourage you to look at the bright side of things.

Hi!, My name is Arielle and I am a second-year pre-nursing major at Hampton University from Columbia, South Carolina.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com