This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

I know what you guys are thinking, “omg a TUMOR, can’t you die from that?” A tumor, yes you can, but a PSEUDO(FAKE)-TUMOR, no. But, there are some scary things that can happen to you and change your life forever.

Before jumping into that, let’s explain what a pseudotumor is. So, according to Columbia University Department of Neurology, a Pseudotumor is a disorder related to high pressure in the brain that causes signs and symptoms of a brain tumor, which explains the reason for using the word, pseudo. It happens when the fluid that surrounds the spinal cord and the brain accumulates abnormally in the brain. A little less complicated sounding, it is when there is a pressure on the brain, and it effects your optic nerves because they then become swollen.

So, after explaining what it is. Some serious side effects and consequences that can occur if not treated is losing your eyesight permanently. Some others experience blurry vision, flashes of light, severe migraines, developing blind spots in BOTH eyes, back pains, neck pains, becoming dizzy at random times, and simply just feeling like your brain is about to explode (not over-exaggerating).

Now I also know you are probably thinking, well how in the word do you get it! Well with all the tests and scientists in the world…. NO ONE TRULY KNOWS. They have said that being overweight can have something to due with it, but even fit and healthy people can accumulate a pseudotumor. It can last for months and even years. How to get rid of it, you ask? Well one type of pill and a bunch of painful spinal taps will work sometimes. Oh, and this disease is also remissive, meaning it is welcome to walk back into your life again.

Now after probably making you want to get tested every time you experience a bad headache or back pain, let’s talk to all the Black Queens out there. Take your health seriously, get regular check ups for chronic diseases, especially for the ones that run in your family. Exercise at least twice a week, and TRUST, it is hard to stay consistent, but any exercise and activity you can work into your schedule, is good!

Black people have the highest rates for certain chronic diseases, so let’s stop making ourselves stigmas and another statistic. Take charge of your health today, not just physically, but mentally, emotionally, and most of all spiritually!

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com