This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

With the busy workload that college has to offer, at times it can surely take a toll on one’s mental health. There is a constant incentive for many students to want to thrive as far as academics, as well as in their extracurricular activities. On top of all the work that needs to be done in college however, it is vital to manage your mental health, as it is extremely necessary in the long run. This factor is equally, if not more important than your academics. Why? Because in the next ten years success will mean nothing if you take such a toll on your mind now that you end up having health issues to worry about in the future. 

Want help on how to relax and take less of a strain on your body?

Here are 5 easy techniques that can help you excel in school while still managing to keep your mental health intact.

1.     MENTAL STIMULATION: Not only can books and games be fun and informative but they can also be great for your mental well-being. According to scientific research there is a correlation between mentally challenging activities, such as reading and playing online games, and being less likely to develop certain forms of mental illness. People who read less are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s. Reading helps your memory for the long run. By helping to stimulate your brain cells reading gives your mind a little exercise of its own. Think of reading a book as taking your brain for a nice jog! And if you don’t like reading, pull out your phone and play a fun game for a few hours. Your body will thank you later by remembering things such as deadlines better.

2.     DECIPHERING RELATIONSHIPS: Learn how to have meaningful relationships with people rather than just simply being social. Also, learn to let go of the people in your life who don’t make you feel so great, this can be hard at times but is an absolute necessity to your mental well-being. As we grow, learning the relationships that we do and don’t need in our lives can help in many ways. Our health benefits when we surround ourselves with people that make us laugh and smile. Research shows that laughing can actually decrease depression and stress. Plus people with more social contacts are less likely to get sick that those who have none. Who would have thought the very reason why you may stay healthy physically could be caused by a few good people in your life? This is why it’s very important to be careful of the company you keep.

3.     PURSUE HOBBIES: Alongside with school, make sure you are doing at least one other thing that contributes to your happiness. Whether this is joining a club or playing your favorite sport, this can distract you from the not so good times in your life, which we all seem to have at times. Extracurricular activities can keep your mind busy and also bring you peace. It never hurts to pursue the things you are passionate about, as this gives your life meaning and stability other than personal relationships. When you are having one of those days where the world seems to be getting to you indulge yourself in the things that you are passionate about and your worries will seemingly start to disappear. It all starts in the mind!

4.     GOOD KARMA: Most people believe in the idea of karma, and if not, I’m sure even they can still understand the concept of ‘what goes around comes around’. It is always good to help out in the community around you, whether this means doing community service or smiling at a stranger. You never know when somebody could be overjoyed by the smallest thing you have to contribute to their lives. Not only does helping others increase your own happiness, but this also helps you to receive your own good karma. This isn’t a proven fact, but personally whenever I see people help others, I always seem to see it be returned to them in some way. And well, if you still don’t believe in the idea of karma, just help those around you for the greater good of the human species. What can it hurt to help your fellow man? Nothing!

5.     RECOGNIZE YOUR STRESSORS: One of the best ways to relax yourself and avoid the burden of stress is to know what causes you to stress! For example, if getting to class late makes you stressed, set your alarm early and find the shortest route to that class. Though stress can sometimes be unavoidable, you are one step closer to freeing your mind if you are able to realize what actually causes you to stress. Make a list of all your stressors and beside them write down a list of ways that you can avoid these things. This may seem like a simple thing to do, but over time this will have a great impact on the way that you cope with stressful situations. This activity will help you to not only understand yourself better but to be more at peace overtime.