This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Spring has just about sprung. There’s no better was to beat the oncoming heat than by wearing cool, cute, and comfy clothing. Whether you’re a workout fiend or not, active wear is great to wear on a chill day. It allows you to be trendy and sporty at the same time. It’s a win-win. But there are a few things you need to know before pulling this carefree look off.

Prices

Don’t be fooled by it’s laidback appearance, active wear can cost an arm and a leg. Great places to buy inexpensive workout gear include Forever 21, Target, Modell’s Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Kohl’s, Nordstrom Rack and Dick’s Sporting Goods. From stores that specialize in sporting goods, it’s best to head toward the clearance rack or catch these stores during their sales. You are bound to find great pieces.

Fit

It’s even more important to make sure your workout gear is comfortable. Nylon, cotton, polyester, and spandex are great materials that are easy to wash, fit well, and best of all, feel like workout heaven.

Color 

Active wear with a pop of color brings out the vibrant energy of spring while making your melanin pop. Fun and crazy prints are also a creative way to switch up styles and show personality.

What to look for

When shopping, be sure to look for staple pieces like joggers, Capri leggings, cute sports bras, tank tops, and running shorts. These articles of workout gear are great for pulling ensembles together.

This spring, you can show off your style. You don’t have to break the bank. You can find perfect fits and pieces and be comfortable while sporting them. What’s there not to love about this easy, effortless look? It ev

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.