Expand your network virtually: 3 women who are dominating the media industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Before leaping to apply to the long list of internships and graduate programs that you have accumulated, take the time to know the women who are dominating the media industry. Study their career path, acknowledge the stride they made in the industry, recognize their strengths and learn from their mistakes so that someday you may be in their shoes – if not higher. That is the goal after all, to acknowledge the women who have paved the way for us by reaching far beyond their accomplishments. That is how we continue to build legacies and opportunities for women in the media industry we build upon one another. 

First and foremost at the top of the list is Elaine Welteroth. She is the New York Times best-selling author of More Than Enough, former Teen Vogue editor-in-chief and a current judge on Project Runway. I had the pleasure of meeting Miss Welteroth in 2019 at a small concert venue in New York where I admirably expressed my love for her work. 

Why you should know Elaine: 

She is an award-winning journalist and author 

She began her career as an unpaid intern at Ebony magazine 

She became the first African American woman to be the Beauty and Health Director at a Conde Nast publication 

In 2017 she became the youngest person ever appointed editor-in-chief

Next up we have Whitney Wolfe Herd who is the CEO of Bumble. Bumble is an online dating app that promotes healthy relationships and puts women at the forefront of the dating world. I currently serve as a social media manager and brand ambassador for Bumble here at Hampton University. Whitney created Bumble to empower women to make the first move, free of harassment and unpleasant experiences. 

Why you should know Whitney:

She was named one of Business Insider’s 30 Most important Women Under 30 in Tech

In 2019, she was listed at number 72 of the top 80 “richest self-made women”

Bumble is the fastest-growing dating app on the market 

Christene Barberich is the global Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder of Refinery29, an award-winning women’s media-entertainment company. She has been named one of the most fascinating people in marketing, media, and culture. Refinery29 is very much so modern, giving every woman the comfort level as if they are talking to their best friend. R29 is the leading global media company that takes pride in the content it provides for young women.   

Why you should know Christene:

Her main goal with her company is to be a good example for everyone that uses Refinery29

She has acted as a brand consultant for companies such as Yves Saint Laurence Fragrance, American Eagle, and Nine West 

She was named among 2014’s Top 20 Media Mavens 

These 3 women are worth getting to know as you begin to prepare for your future. There are certainly hundreds of more women who are breaking barriers at the forefront of the media industry. May Elaine, Whitney, and Christene inspire your journey and lead you on a path to greatness! Good luck and best wishes to all of the future media mavens!

Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.