Keeping Your Cool: How to Deal With Stress & Anxiety This Fall Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

As a college student, the fall semester can be an exciting time for new beginnings. You’re surrounded by friends, you have new classes and the weather is changing. However, there are many things that can cause us stress as well.  

As the temperature grows colder, college students often times feel overwhelmed by their coursework, interpersonal relationships, careers and much more.

But don’t let the seasonal blues get you down! There are a variety of fun activities you can do with friends, or even solo, to brighten up your mood and make you feel de-stressed. 

1. Visit an Apple Orchard:

Just because the weather is growing colder doesn’t mean you can’t spend necessary time in nature! Throw on a coat, gather your friends and venture to an apple orchard for some fresh air. Walking around the orchard is not only beneficial for your mental health, but it’s also a great way to get into the fall spirit. Whether you eat homemade apple baked goods or pick a bushel of apples yourself, an apple orchard is a great location for relaxation and festive fall fun.

2. Carve a Pumpkin:

Even if you aren’t an artistic person, carving pumpkins is a festive activity to awaken your inner-artist and clear your mind. First, you get to choose your perfect pumpkin. Then, you get to design the face of your jack-o-lantern. Scary, happy, excited, you can make it anyway you want it! Then comes the fun part: scooping out the pumpkin guts and carving it up. Place a fake tea light candle inside to make it glow in a dorm window as a friendly face to all!

3. Take a Scenic Fall Foliage Drive:

As autumn begins to creep in, the fall foliage turns into a magnificent collection of reds, yellows and oranges. Taking a drive on an open country road to see the scenic leaves will not only help you de-stress, but it will also help you appreciate nature and the change of the seasons.  

4. Make a Happy Music Playlist:

Every college student knows the importance of a good Spotify playlist to study, walk to class, chill with friends and everything inbetween. But when we’re down in the dumps, it is just too easy to put on sad music and wallow. However, the power of a playlist with upbeat, classic sing-along songs will surprisingly change your mood in a positive way. Whether it’s Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves, or Leaving Los Feliz by Mark Ronson, there’s sure to be a song to get you up and moving.

5. Halloween Movie Marathon:

Sometimes the easiest way to get your mind off of upcoming responsibilities is to distract yourself. What better way to de-stress than having a Halloween movie marathon solo or with your friends? Gather lots of blankets, make popcorn, turn off the lights and enjoy some classic films like Harry Potter or Beetlejuice. These are sure to make you laugh, and put you in the Halloween mood!

No matter how much stress you may feel during the fall semester, these fun tasks can help get you through.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.