Wellness

What to Do When Your Class Feels Impossible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We’ve all had that one class that feels impossible, and if you haven’t yet, just wait, I promise you will get the thrilling chance to experience it. When a class feels impossibly difficult for whatever reason, whether it be the professor or the content of the course, it is often challenging to feel like you could ever succeed, however, if you follow these steps, you might find yourself not having gut wrenching anxiety every time you have class. 

1. Talk to fellow Students in Your Class

When a class is difficult, it is easy to feel alone and like no one else is struggling, however I 

can guarantee that is not true. Reaching out to fellow classmates will be a lifesaver in class, for not only can you sit and whine about the class together, but also work together to try and figure out how to best succeed. I find this strategy especially helps in math or science courses, which can feel like a labyrinth of the unknown. 

1. Find a Tutor

If working with your classmates isn’t helping, most classes have an assigned tutor who has their own office hours. Depending on the class, the office hours for your tutor might be a bit wild, but most of them are more than willing to set up individual time to work with you. All these tutors have been students before, and know exactly what it feels like, so they are extremely supportive and are rooting for you to succeed.

1. Talk to Your Professor

As a person with anxiety, this approach is often the most nerve-racking, but also the most effective. While it is scary to reach out to a professor whose class already feels incredible scary, I have found that most professors love to speak with their students and help them. As I mentioned, MOST professors like to help their students, so stay tuned if your professor does not fall into that category. Speaking to your professor about your individual needs and struggles often provides them insight on how to best help you. Additionally, forming a relationship with your professors will help later in life with recommendations and advice. 

1. Talk To The Head Of The Department

If you professor falls into the category of seemingly not wanting to help students, going to a department head can facilitate a quick change in the class. This strategy really only works if a large percentage of the class feels that they are unable to academically succeed or that the environment is not conducive to a healthy and safe learning space. As students, often we fall into the trap of feeling unheard in the university, however, it important to remember that the university is a business, and we are their customers! If you and your fellow classmates aren’t satisfied with your learning experience, you have every right to say something. Speaking to a department head, can act as an intermediary between you and the professor, allowing the department head to provide value feedback and advice to your professor on how to improve their class. 

1. Contest Your Grade

I learned that contesting grades even existed for the first time earlier this year. If you feel like your grade is not deserved, at the end of the semester you can go in front of a board to contest your grade, by proving that the grading system was capricious and arbitrary. This can be a big feat, so it is often best if other students in your class have similar complaints, which help back your case. 

1. Remember…. It’s Just ONE Grade

While it may seem like this one grade will ruin your life and destroy your GPA, in reality it is just one grade. What I try to remember is that twenty years from now, this one grade won’t mean anything. It is easy to get caught up in the bustle of things and forget that one class won’t destroy your life, and in the long run, most likely won’t matter to you at all. Relax. Take a deep breath, I promise it will all be ok. 

Leah is a sophomore majoring in Psychology. She spends her time at work-out classes, finding amazing food, and volunteering at the Kitten Lounge.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.