Wellness > Health

Finesse Your Fitness: A Review on SoulCycle-West End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Change your body. Take your journey. Find your soul. 

OK, lets be honest, we have all heard of SoulCycle, but is it really worth the hype? Founded in 2006, the main intention of the indoor cycling studio was to create a safe space for people that constantly felt judged at gyms, to be comfortable working out. When the lights are off, it’s your time to shine. If you are like me, you are a loyal rider and maybe have drank a little too much of the kool aid. This week I went to their West End location and found my soul, so here’s the tea, sis:

What’s SoulCycle?

A 45-minute beat-based cycling class that is combined with hills, sprints and everything in between. Each instructor brings their own music and background which makes each ride unique. There is a hand weight portion of the class that helps tone your upper body too. There are various classes that soul offers: the traditional 45-minute class, theme ride classes (ranging from Queen to A$AP Ferg), Soul Survivor, their 60-minute class, Soul Challenge, their 90 minute class, and Soul Activate, the 45-minute endurance based class. 

Where’s SoulCycle West End?

2301 M St NW, Washington, DC 20037

What instructors are we feeling this week?

I took Sammy’s 7am class. I know 7am is crazy, but it was the BEST way to start my morning. Sammy brings a hip-hop vibe with EDM spin. Of course you will also hear pop. Like every class. His classes I would say are more on the fast one, so if hauling ass is your friend, then that is the class for you. As a Chicago native, you will hear Sammy mention the Bears now since its football season(Go Pats!). Overall, I recommend Sammy if you’re into ending a class with a little Post Malone and love a good sprint or six.

Sammys IG: sammycoth

Book a class with Sammy: https://www.soul-cycle.com/instructors/10426/sammy/

Is it going to break my budget?

Hell NAH! SoulCycle has special deals for students. If you call or walk into a studio with your student email or ID, you get classes for $20!!! That’s right. No lie. A normal class costs $32, but Soul understands college kids are #ballinonabudget.  

SO, what’s the verdict?

If you’re into a feelsey workout, this is your place. Do NOT be intimidated by the other riders who may go all the time because TBH who cares? It’s your ride. Take the leap and take time for yourself to own your space. The only downside of being a first-time rider is getting the hand of how the classes run. But every instructor and front desk staff is willing to help catch you up to speed! Go on you warrior, what are you waiting for?

Kaeleen is a senior at GW and from Boston, MA. She grew up playing sports and rowed for the GW Women’s Rowing team. Her career was cut short due to injury, but it helped her discover the athlete she is without competitive sports. When she is not working out, she likes to discover new places in DC or relaxing at her family home in Nantucket with her dog Mogul.