5 Little Things That Made Me Happy This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

It is almost too easy to dwell on the bad things in life. Depression is something that I and many other people struggle with on a daily basis. It has the power to consume your thoughts, control your actions, and send you into a numb state. When HC Gustavus Editor-in-Chief Katie Allen suggested this article idea to me, I quickly accepted. However, after accepting, I panicked. What was I going to write about? What if I had a really bad week and couldn’t come up with anything? Luckily, I did have at least five things that gave me a big ol’ smile this week and here they are.

These are the five things that made me the happiest this week:

1. Every time I see Vikki Smith in the caf, I cannot help but smile. She is always up for a great conversation. The last day that I talked with her, she was quick to compliment an outfit that I was wearing, which instantly brought my mood up. Vikki and I also talk a lot about my odd caf creations, like when I put French fries in my burrito (which by the way–it’s SO good). She is easily one of my favorite people on our campus.

2. The Gustavus sunsets were wild this week. Some pretty upsetting rainfall led to a gorgeous sunset that sent everyone into a photo frenzy. A mixture of purple, pink, and orange swept across the Gustavus skyline and I felt compelled to stop and take a few photos. They are now printed out and hanging over my bed in my room. Never take a Gustavus sunset for granted. Get out and enjoy the amazing works of art in the sky. Also, keep an eye out for Northern Lights in the winter. While they don’t show up on your phone, they are definitely a sight to see–especially over an illuminated Gustavus Adolphus College.

Photo: Talia Johnson 

3. Cooper the Campus Cat has stolen the hearts of many Gusties, including mine. He’s always snooping around my house, pawing at my door, and roaming the campus in search of some loving Gusties. If you have not spotted Cooper yet, his favorite places to hang out are the Gustavus sign, the Chapel, and the ILS houses. He is the sweetest, most loving little animal. If you need to lift your spirits, go on a search for Cooper the Campus Cat.

Photo: AM Photos 

4. I love taking mini-adventures around Saint Peter. When I do, I know I will enjoy my day and can clear my mind. Gustavus bike rentals are awesome because you can get away from the stress of college and enjoy the neat little town of Saint Peter. Lund rents out bikes until 8 p.m., so go rent one and explore! There are some great paths, park systems, and hidden treasures in this town. Check out this Her Campus article for some hidden gems of Saint Peter. Go out, explore, and find some of your own hidden gems.

5. Sitting in Christ Chapel in silence. Whether you are religious or not, I think we can all agree that the chapel is an astoundingly gorgeous place. If you go at sunset, the stained glass panels illuminate the Chapel with trickles of colorful light. If you sit quietly enough, you can hear the dripping of the fountain in the front. It is definitely a place worth your time and silence.

Photo: AM Photos

What made you happy this week? Can you come up with five things? If you haven’t tried any of these five things, I would strongly recommend giving them all a try. You never know what large impact even the smallest of things can have on your happiness.