This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It can be really hard to physically get up and try to exercise, especially when school and work can be overwhelming and we’re stuck at home. I always worked best and felt more productive when I broke things down into smaller chunks. Longer time frames (and tasks that seemed like they would take a long time to do) would scare me, so I started breaking things down so it would be less overwhelming and more exciting to do. I do the same for workouts, especially now since we are homebound.  

It was hard to attribute an hour or so a day to physical activity so I began to break it down and only start with 45 minutes a day and do it about three times a week. The 45 minutes would then be broken down into three 15-minute intervals throughout the day so it can be a nice escape from school and work. One of those intervals is for a core workout and it has a great long-term impact. The core workout consists of: 

• 15 sit-ups

• 30 crunches  

• 15-second plank  

• 15 toe taps 

• 20 cycling crunches  

• 10 leg raises  

• 10 single leg raises 

• 12 glute bridges 

Repeat this set 2-3 times, depending on how you’re feeling.  

This is a great way to start adding some physical activity to your daily routine and something that could help you move to more complex workouts!

Mehak is a fourth-year biomedical science major at the University of Guelph.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!