This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Recently, I have had so much trouble finding any motivation to do any sort of work, and not just school-related. This potentially has to do with burnout and just being overall exhausted from everything. I was trying to find different ways to feel more motivated and keep a positive mindset overall. I came across this productivity method that if you film yourself doing work in a timelapse, it will keep you focused and want to work. I initially thought it was an exciting idea, and I haven’t heard of it before, so I decided to try.  

I didn’t know how to begin because, being the wannabe perfectionist I am, I wanted to have a good quality angle and well-produced video while I worked, so I stayed focused. This was when I came across Studygram and many videos on social media of student influencers who posted so many videos of them while studying. 

It was so calming to watch them, and I was genuinely shook that I hadn’t taken the time before to watch them, considering I spend an unhealthy amount of time on social media to procrastinate. I started exploring many different accounts and different ways the influencers took videos, and it inspired me to start filming myself when I study. I noticed that when I did it, I was so focused during the entire time and didn’t even realize that there was a camera there and was able to study non-stop for about two hours. A bonus to all of this is producing aesthetically pleasing videos that you can keep.  

I continued watching so many videos to relax during my free time, and it helped my motivation. There are some excellent Studygrams out there that have so much creative content, and you can just start at one and go from there if you want to find different types. Studytube is also popular for a long time and if you find that more useful or it helps you better in motivating yourself, then definitely give it a try.  

Mehak is a fourth-year biomedical science major at the University of Guelph.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!