This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

*Information from this article should not be taken as medical advice*

Winter is here, and although the cold weather and large winter clothes can make it easier for trans and nonbinary people to feel comfortable with themselves, many still bind their chests all year round. Let’s go over some binding safety to stay well and cozy this snowy season.   

The Don’ts  

It may seem harsh, but it’s important to start with what not to do. Chest binding can be dangerous if not done correctly.   

Don’t bind with tape or plastic wrap. Items like these were not meant to be used for binding and will not allow you to properly breathe. They can also hurt and damage skin and tissue, and often lead to injuries and bruising.   

Don’t wear a binder that’s too small. It’s understandable to want to flatten your chest as much as possible, but there’s a sizing chart for a reason. Binders that are too small can restrict your breathing or cut off circulation. Make sure to find the right fit for you, so you can stay safe.  

Don’t wear more than one binder at once. Just like how it’s dangerous to wear a binder that’s too small, wearing two binders at once can restrict your breathing and movement.  

Don’t bind for more than 8 to 10 hours. It’s important to give your body breaks. Binding can be physically exhausting and your body needs time to take a literal breather.   

Don’t sleep in your binder. When we sleep, our breathing changes and slows, which can be dangerous when your chest is bound. Sleep can also be a good time for your body to take a break from binding.  

Don’t work out in your binder. When exercising, it is important for your chest to expand properly. A sports bra or compression bra can be a good alternative for fighting dysphoria while exercising.   

The Dos  

Now to the good part! Here’s what you should do to bind safely.  

Do stretch often. Stretching is important, and it feels good! Stretch before you put on your binder, during, and after. Stretching keeps your muscles relaxed and loose. Make sure your body can move comfortably.  

Do take your binder off occasionally. Allow your body to rest throughout the day when you have time. Even a couple of minutes can help your body stay comfortable throughout the day.  

Do your research. Look into different binder styles. There are full-length binders and half-length ones. They also come in many colours and patterns! Just make sure not to buy one with zippers or clasps of any kind as they are unsafe.  

Your Binder Isn’t the Right Size For You If:   

• You have trouble breathing  
  • It causes any pain  
  • The sides dig or cut into you  

Safe Binding Alternatives  

If you don’t have a binder, there are many other alternatives that can help you with your dysphoria, like wearing a sports bra or two, a tight tank top under a t-shirt, or a compression bra (compression bras are very similar to binders but are made for exercising).   

  

It’s important to listen to your body while binding as it knows best. Your safety comes first. Remember, if a binder doesn’t seem to be working for you, don’t lose hope. There are many different brands and styles out there, and many ways to help yourself feel comfortable in your body. Good luck, and happy binding!  

  

References   

Bell, Jen, and Nicole Telfer. “Chest Binding: Tips and Tricks.” Clue, Clue, 4 Mar. 2019, https://helloclue.com/articles/cycle-a-z/chest-binding-tips-and-tricks-for-trans-men-nonbinary-and-genderfluid.   

GC2B. “Safety.” GC2B, https://gc2b.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/204527588-Safety.   

Point 5cc. “Binding 101: Tips to Bind Your Chest Safely.” Point 5cc, 12 May 2016, http://point5cc.com/binding-101-tips-to-bind-your-chest-safely/.  

Beckett is a fourth year student at the University of Guelph in the position of editor for Her Campus at Guelph. They are majoring in English, with a minor in Creative Writing. They are a poet and a writer with a love of books, nature and shiny things.