Chalkboard with common questions/thoughts from Georgia State University students written on it.
Original illustration by Faith Udokang / Canva

From Panther to Panther, a GSU Survival Guide: Part 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

They say experience is the best teacher. This applies to everything, like making mistakes, being in different relationships and, in this case, going through college. As much as we may hate to admit it, experiencing some things on our own has proven to be invaluable. But, it never hurts to receive guidance from people who have experienced the same things you have.

For us panthers, who’s better to receive school-related advice from than Georgia State University alumnae? In the final part of this series, I’ve interviewed some former GSU students on their time while in college. From being caught in Aderhold wind, inching through long financial aid lines, and pushing through long study sessions at the library, these ladies, too, have gone through their share of ups and downs while in college, but ultimately gained an irreplaceable experience in the end.

Keep reading as they share their experiences about their journey through college and pass down tips they have for current students just like you!

Adesola Onafuye, GSU ‘16

“The advice I would give to current GSU students is that make sure you network, not just with fellow students but also faculty members, your professors, administrators, and counselors. Your network is your net worth. These people you are connecting with could possibly help you land your dream career, get you into the right places and connect you to other people. Get their emails and or social media accounts. LinkedIn is an important platform as well. This is the most important and major advice I’d give and if I could do it all over again, I would make sure I connected with 50-100 people within my college years.”

Ashleigh Staine, MPH GSU ‘20

“My journey at GSU started in 2014. My first year laid the foundation into what would become the most critical years of my life. I had the opportunity to live on campus my freshman year, and I made lots of friends and connections. However, the following year I was a commuter student, and I started to lose the connection to campus. When I realized the disconnect that began happening to me, I began to seek out organizations on campus, attending events, and even started looking for an on-campus job. In my sophomore year, I started a job in the university career service co-op and internship office, where I learned the importance of networking and school involvement. I could never imagine that one campus job could impact my life so much. 

GSU is not a traditional university being that majority of the students are commuters, and many students struggle to balance wanting to be involved and being a commuter as well. I was able to have both of these experiences, and I am here as a testament to how beneficial the sacrifice is to become involved because had I not, I would not be where I am in life right now. GSU staff and faculty are incredibly helpful and understanding to many of our situations if we make an effort to get involved. I encourage all students to get involved in at least one club, formulate a working relationship with at least one professor and please utilize the career resources we have on campus. 

There is this quote, “don’t let what you cannot do, interfere with what you can do. ” no matter how busy we think we are, I promise there is something you can become involved with at GSU, with the little time you have. As panthers, we are smart, adaptable, and unique, so use that to your advantage.”

Emani Jones, GSU ‘19

“My experience at Georgia State was fairly good. I was a transfer student junior year from Clark Atlanta and there were some differences I had to get adjusted to. Overall I enjoyed my time. I was involved in NCNW and became an eboard member later on, which really contributed to my positive experience. That’s one of the tips I would give; to join an organization and meet new people. I would also say carve out time for self care! College students tend to run themselves dry trying to be involved in everything and worry about grades. Even as a Master’s student, I am still learning to carve out time for myself outside of working and completing assignments!”

Ilana Best, GSU ‘20

“I would say I loved a lot of my experiences with GSU as far as the student body and some professors. I loved the diversity and just being able to find myself through a college experience. My tip for success at GSU…join some organizations to make friends and do your FASFA EARLY!”

Khalis Thomas, GSU ‘20

“I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at GSU! The highlight of my college experience was joining several organizations, including the one I founded. I was able to network and make new friends, all while strengthening my resume. The tips I would give to current students would be to get involved as much as you can, study at least a week before the exam or quiz, use all campus resources, and make the best of your experience!”

Onyekachim Amauwah, GSU ‘13

“School-life balance makes the process so much more enjoyable. For most of my friends and I, undergrad was our first time away from home. As much as we knew the importance of education, I didn’t realize the importance of building in off-days until well into my senior year. I burned myself out very quickly because I felt that I had to high production mode all the time.

Get Involved! Georgia State is such a diverse university, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. However, finding your niche will unlock so much potential. Not only was I apart of the African Student Association, I was involved in the America Corps/ Early College project. My interactions with faculty and students from different backgrounds have helped me everywhere from work experience to graduate school.”

Sherna Tolbert, GSU ‘13

“Make it a point to enjoy your time at GSU! Schoolwork and grades come first, but don’t forget to become involved with the various campus organizations. It makes your experience totally different! In between semesters, schedule an appointment with your advisor to make sure you’re on the proper track to graduate and attend at least one panther prowl (if that’s still a “thing”)!”

In this current climate, it’s understandable to feel uneasy or uncertain, especially towards school. But, this too shall pass, and with the help of this GSU survival guide, your time as a panther will be a little easier!

Faith is a senior political science major and journalism minor at Georgia State University. In her free time, you can count on her either painting, baking, doing her hair, or occasionally playing guitar. From social justice issues to giving advice, read from a variety of topics that she is most passionate about!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus