Chalkboard with common questions/thoughts from Georgia State University students written on it.
Original illustration by Faith Udokang / Canva

From Panther to Panther, a GSU Survival Guide: Part 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

From being dubbed the “Hollywood of the South” to its rich culture and attractions, Atlanta reigns as a city that’s loved by many. Aside from these notable characteristics, some may argue that the best aspect of this city is something that everybody loves and what nobody can live without – the food.

Inside this booming city lies a melting pot of different cultures and cuisines, with eateries on just about every corner. And for my fellow collegiettes, some of these eateries even offer student discounts! Featuring restaurants within walking distance from campus to only a few minutes drive away, I’ve created a list highlighting some of the best places around that are cost-efficient for us college students. Just remember to bring your PantherCard to each location, and you’ll be on your way to satisfying your taste buds while saving your pockets!

Budi’s Sushi

Discount: 10 percent off

At Budi’s Sushi, enjoy some Asian home cooking and dive into the many fresh, high-value food selections that this restaurant has to offer.

Cinnaholic

Discount: 10 percent off

When people think of cinnamon rolls, they usually envision the warm, soft cinnamon bread topped off with rich, creamy icing. At Cinnaholic, the decadence doesn’t stop there! Create your own cinnamon roll with their unique variety of frosting flavors and toppings, or choose one of their best selling combinations.

Helen’s Hot Chicken

Discount: 10 percent off

From a small trailer in Nashville, TN, to a successful franchise, Helen’s Hot Chicken serves flavorful chicken dishes that’ll leave you wanting more each time. 

Just Add Honey Tea Company

Discount: 10 percent off

Just Add Honey Tea Company is the perfect spot for tea lovers to visit. Choose from their large assortment of fun and refreshing teas to sip on after a long day of classes.

Kenley’s

Discount: 10 percent off

Need some breakfast before your morning class, or maybe a nice lunch to treat yourself to? Kenley’s is your one-stop-shop for buying appetizing meals at any time of the day. Hint: make sure to try the wings (you can thank me later).

Recess

Discount: 10 percent off

Recess is the perfect restaurant to visit when you want to opt for a more vegetable-centered dish. Featuring selections that are equal parts healthy and delicious, this eatery guarantees food that will satisfy you but won’t slow you down throughout your day.

Sublime Doughnuts

Discount: 15 percent off (Limit: 6 doughnuts)

With a heartwarming startup, Sublime Doughnuts achieves what the owner, Kamal Grant, has always aspired to do: making people happy with sweets. Make your selection from the large array of creatively crafted doughnuts. You’ll be like a kid in a candy store … or in this case, a doughnut shop!

Sweet-Stack Creamery

Discount: 10 percent off

Temperatures may be dropping, but that doesn’t mean it’s too cold for ice cream. At Sweet-Stack Creamery, satisfy your sweet tooth with this ice cream shop’s wide variety of delectable ice cream flavors and toppings. And the best part – you can choose to make your frozen treat either a doughnut or cookie ice cream sandwich!

Waffle House

Discount: 10 percent off

What’s Georgia without a Waffle House? Exactly. That’s why there are many Waffle Houses to eat from near campus, with the closest being at the Petit Science Center. Grab your roomie for breakfast before class or for a late-night bite and enjoy this Georgia-staple.

At this point, you’re either really hungry or really mad at me for making you hungry. I’m sorry sis, but now you know about the best eateries around campus that are perfect for your student budget. Be sure to read the next and final part of this series, as some GSU alumnae share their experience while on campus, along with tips that they have to offer to current students!

Faith is a senior political science major and journalism minor at Georgia State University. In her free time, you can count on her either painting, baking, doing her hair, or occasionally playing guitar. From social justice issues to giving advice, read from a variety of topics that she is most passionate about!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus