Chalkboard with common questions/thoughts from Georgia State University students written on it.
Original illustration by Faith Udokang / Canva

From Panther to Panther, a GSU Survival Guide: Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Welcome panthers! Whether you’re a new or returning student, I hope that the beginning of this new school year has been a smooth transition. It’ll definitely be different, to say the least. With the adjustments of having to take classes either in-person or online and the continuing reality of living through a pandemic, going through college at this time may feel a little weird and understandably stressful.

But never fear! I’ve created a guide featuring only the most helpful tips that’ll make your life a little easier here at GSU. To introduce this series, I’ve created a list of services that are not only useful to you while in college, but are also entirely free to you as a student!

Adobe Creative Cloud

At the click of a mouse, Adobe Creative Cloud offers a wide variety of services to help guide you in your creative projects. Are you a photographer that is in need of high-quality editing tools? Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is perfect for you. Are you into making short films but are looking for ways to make them stand out? Adobe Premiere Pro is the way to go. 

Adobe Creative Cloud is free for all GSU students to use in campus computer labs. Also, if you happen to work on campus, this service is free for all staff members to download on their computer. Follow this link for more info!

Grammarly Premium

Who else has been in that situation where it’s five minutes till your essay’s deadline? Time is ticking away, but you’re contemplating doing a quick run-through to see if everything flows. You wouldn’t dare miss the deadline, but you might get an even better grade if you fix all of your possible grammar mistakes. Decisions, decisions. 

Grammarly is here to help. Whether you need help to determine if that extra comma is necessary, or if that particular sentence makes sense, this tool is here to assist you in your writing process and make sure that everything is clear and presentable. 

Grammarly is free to all users and provides basic writing corrections. However, Grammarly Premium gives a more in-depth and advanced writing feedback, with over 400 types of features. Here’s a list of detailed instructions for you to sign up.

LinkedIn Learning

If you’re looking for ways to grow and develop in the skills needed for your profession, LinkedIn Learning is the service that’ll readily prepare you. This educational platform offers over 15,000 courses in business, technology, and creativity-related topics.

After completing each activity, you’ll discover which skills are necessary for you to expand on while simultaneously acquiring others. LinkedIn Learning even allows you to connect your personal LinkedIn profile, allowing you to complete more personalized courses. Click here to get started!

Microsoft Office

After years of writing essays on Word and creating presentations on PowerPoint, you’re probably no stranger to the world of Microsoft Office. As a GSU student, you can get the many services of Microsoft Office for free just by using your student email when signing up. For as long as your student email remains active, so is your free access to Microsoft Office. This link will show you step-by-step how to sign up!

There’s no doubt that college can be expensive. Taking advantage of any of these free services will be one less thing you’ll have to worry about paying for. Be sure to read up on the second part of the series as I list some of the beneficial resources offered at Georgia State!

Faith is a senior political science major and journalism minor at Georgia State University. In her free time, you can count on her either painting, baking, doing her hair, or occasionally playing guitar. From social justice issues to giving advice, read from a variety of topics that she is most passionate about!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus