This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

When we hear the words ‘self-love’ we normally think about doing things that make us feel good. Treating ourselves to that overpriced jacket, having a spa day, or going outside to be with nature because that’s something you enjoy.

These are all valid ways to practice self-love, but we tend to forget that self-love isn’t just about obtaining things we desire. Yes, it’s great to say “I want to take a bubble bath” and loving yourself enough to get up and treat yourself to one. But another form of practicing self-love is being able to say “I WANT to take a bubble bath right now, but I have some work I NEED to get done in order to achieve my future goals.” 

computer hands writing in journal on table
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

The portrayal of self-love on social media is very want-based. A lot of companies advertise using this rhetoric to convince us that if we loved ourselves enough we would spend our money to buy their product. It’s a tactic that gives off this notion that this is the one true way to love ourselves when that isn’t necessarily the case. Loving yourself not only means doing something that will make you feel good. It can also mean just straight-up doing something that’s good for you too. 

Self-love comes in many forms and there’s not a one size fits all way to practice it. It can be doing or buying something we NEED or something we WANT or BOTH. Somedays an act of self-love could be eating a whole pint of ice cream just because. Another day an act of self-love could be completing all your homework assignments for the week even though you don’t really want to. Maybe your version of self-love at this moment is treating yourself to a spa day because your skin needs moisture badly and also wants to relax for the day. 

girl wearing a mud mask
Unsplash

Practicing self-love is unique to the person and to every new moment we’re blessed enough to experience. Just remember that self-love isn’t just about what you want. Sometimes it’s about what you need and sometimes it’s a mixture of both. It’s important to acknowledge that self-love can also be loving yourself enough to be able to tell yourself “I could buy that new skincare product I saw on Instagram, but instead I’m going to put that $50 towards the apartment I’m saving up for.” 

Photo by Madison Inouye from Pexels

When you’re ready for some good ole self-love, check-in with yourself and be honest about which form of it is most important for you to practice at that moment.

Sophia is a first-year graduate student at Georgia State University pursuing her Masters in Clinical and Mental Health Counseling.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus