Everything You Need to Know About Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It is no secret that devastation taking place in Houston, Texas is affecting everyone from the Midwest to the Southeast regions. People from all over have gained the grim sight of the hurricane’s effects from being displaced to losing everything that they once owned and even loved. The unfortunate toll of lives lost continues to climb as clean ups begin to take place in hopes that some renewal can be done to give residents and frequent visitors alike their home back. This Hurricane tops the list as one of America’s largest natural disasters, alongside Hurricane Katrina which touched down in New Orleans 12-years ago on August 23, 2005. To date the city of New Orleans continues to bare the scars of that disaster.

Photo credit: wctv

Though this circumstance accumulated 280 mph winds and what seemed like non stop rainfall, student organizations at Georgia State have stepped up to the plate to ensure that Houston residents do not feel alone in their relief efforts. A few organizations who have decided to give back are the Zeta Theta chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Softer Touch GSU, the Zeta Mu Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., College Girls Rock, Inc. and so many more. Efforts of this magnitude at Georgia State not only aid in shaping the rebuild but also encourages students to be more actively involved in their campus community.

However, with all of those organizations donating and raising funds there are a few important items that are desperately needed if you intend to help the Houston community.

• Diapers
  • Women’s toiletries
  • Baby food/formula
  • Water
  • Non perishable items
  • Children’s clothing
  • Supplies for older adults/grandparents
  • Children’s toys
  • Men/Women’s clothing

Photo credit: sports illustrated

The list can go on for days however, it is important to give as if you ran out of the important items that you need on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. The biggest need are adult diapers, baby diapers, tampons, pads and other feminine hygiene products. These items often go ignored because many people do not recognize the significance in something that does not directly affect them. There is also no limit to give where it is needed because the clean up from this storm will be one where prayers and support are the most critical element.

At GSU specifically, College Girls Rock, Inc. has started their Refunds for Relief initiative. Founder of the organization, Tyler Lanier brainstormed this idea upon “college refund” season in hopes that students would take the time out to donate directly to Houston organizations before they spent their hefty checks. To donate to CGR-GSU, visit College Girls Rock’s official website and click on the refunds for relief tab. Softer Touch GSU will also be accepting donations in Student Center West room 465.

Photo credit: the national report

Both the Zeta Mu Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and the Zeta Theta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. will also be accepting donations in their respective chapter rooms — no end date has been set for either fraternity yet. When donating please keep in mind that diapers are the largest need as the Houston Diaper Bank went through more than 20,000 diapers last week alone.

It is also best that when donating you find organizations that are sending donations straight to Houston with no third party involved. The sooner the victims of the massive flooding can receive these donations the better. Nonetheless, a little bit of help does go a very long way and with the help of a good heart, small investments in everyday items and overall well thoughts the victims of Hurricane Harvey will be on their way to recovery.

For more information on all of the organizations listed above, please visit your GSU OrgSync account and search their individual names in the search box.

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus