self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness

Caring for Yourself While Caring for Others

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

For some of us, social distancing is taking a serious toll on our mental health. While it’s absolutely crucial that we unite and take care of our community by staying at home, that doesn’t mean you should no longer take care of yourself.

Self-care is all about one thing: YOU! That means that not all methods of self-care work for everyone. We’re all different, so we’re all reacting to this quarantine differently–what you need to stay sane may be wildly different than what your friends and family need. 

If you’re used to productivity and routine, you should make a daily schedule. 

For all the girl bosses struggling to adjust to this downtime, a daily schedule might be the thing for you to maintain control over your life. Whether it’s just a to-do list of chores and school assignments or an hour-by-hour itinerary that includes meal times and at-home workouts, having some kind of outline of your day can help make the adjustment easier (don’t beat yourself up if you don’t hit everything on your list, though). 

Scrabble tiles spell out \"To Do\" on a blue background above a yellow sticky note
Pexels
If you’re a social butterfly, you should set up a group FaceTime

All this isolation may be easy for the introverts out there, but the extroverted girls are struggling. Pop on over to the group chat with your gal pals and set up a time for all of you to hop on FaceTime (or Skype, Zoom, whatever). As long as you all have an iPhone 6s or newer, you can all participate. Having trouble setting it up? You can find step-by-step instructions here. If you all are movie buffs and less keen on actually speaking, install Netflix Party. 

If you’re the outdoorsy type, you should take a walk. 

Just because public interaction is canceled, that doesn’t mean the great outdoors are too! Atlanta parks and the BeltLine are still open to the public, just make sure you keep a distance of at least six feet between you and the other patrons. Avoid crowds by choosing the BeltLine trails over the paved paths, or stroll through your neighborhood if you’re back home. 

If you needed a break pre-COVID, you should meditate

If you were drowning in school assignments and long work hours before the quarantine, this is your chance to breathe–use it. Now’s your time to relax, reflect, and focus on your mental stability. If you’re a beginner, you can find free guided meditations on apps like Headspace and Calm. Close your eyes and focus on being present in the moment, your space, and your own mind. Even just five minutes a day will help keep your head on straight.

summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

If you’re struggling to stay hopeful, you should plan an imaginary vacation

Planning a vacation–either the trip of your dreams or an actual vacay to take post-corona–can break you out of the four walls of your bedroom and put a light at the end of the tunnel. Call up a travel buddy, scour TripAdvisor, and create your ideal itinerary. Just hold off on making any bookings until everything has blown over. 

If you’re a party animal, you should dance

Right now, partying and clubbing is out of the question. But let’s be honest: who’s better to party with than you?! Create your own club-for-one in the comfort of your bedroom. Turn the lights off, light some candles, turn on your color-changing lights, make the perfect dance playlist and boogie like nobody’s watching (because they aren’t!). It’s also a way to stay active without the threat of overly grabby men, so it’s really a win-win. 

Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
If you’re a foodie, you should order takeout. 

There’s something therapeutic about a good meal. If your weekends and Instagram feed consist of nothing but yummy eats, then you and your stomach may be feeling this quarantine extra hard. Good news: many restaurants are offering take-out, pick-up, and delivery options. Call up your favorite local restaurant or try something new, pour yourself a glass of wine and don’t forget to snap a pic for the ‘gram! If you can, tip big. Many smaller, locally-owned restaurants and service workers are struggling to stay afloat right now, so every dollar helps. 

No matter who you are or how you’re handling the quarantine, all of these self-love strategies will be worthwhile. Whatever you decide to do to pass the time and maintain your composure, we’re all in this together. Call your parents. Make sure your friends are doing okay. If you have expendable income at this time, consider donating some to organizations helping those in need. And above all else, stay home.

Katie Burkholder is a third-year Georgia State student with a major in English: Rhetoric and Composition and a minor in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies. She is an aspiring journalist, author, and/or literary publisher whose work has been published both in print and online. When she is not writing about women’s issues, environmental justice, or LGBTQ rights, Katie enjoys reading short stories, painting, and listening to music.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus