From Boring to Beneficial: Study Tips to Make the Most Out of A Study Session

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It is no secret that college requires a multitude of studying. Learning how to study effectively can sometimes be tricky but with the right tips and tricks, you can combat your studying worries. Effective studying habits are the keys to a successful college career. Yes, it can be tedious but it is an important part of college. It would be hard to be successful in school without studying even a little.

1. Pick a place and time.

• Set up your study space. Your study space should be peaceful, comfortable and distraction free. It should make you feel happy, inspired and ready to study. You can decorate your study space with things you love. For example if you love music, math or science you can decorate your study space with helpful quotes to keep your drive going. Just make it into your own sanctuary so you can feel the motivation running through you.

• Find the best time for yourself. Some people work better in the mornings. Some people work better at night. Figure out the time that works best for you and stick to it. Don’t study much later than your usual bedtime, pushing yourself late at night can make you tired. Sticking to a study time can be hard so you can mix it up sometimes too, if you usually study at night, change it up to the morning when your brain is more awake.

2. Plan your time.

• It helps to have some plans in motion. It can keep you more organized and focused on the things you have to go over. Set alarms to remind you of your planned study time and use a wall planner or a calendar so your schedule. Write important dates like homework and exams so you can level out your time between these things.

• Make to do lists, break down tasks into manageable chunks. Make a to do list at the start of each session and before you start your session have a look at your to do list and give yourself a set of times. If you do not get enough studying in with the time you have set, make sure you set other times to do so.

3. Discover your learning style.

• Most of us have a preferred way of learning. Get to know the learning style you’re most comfortable with and study in the ways you learn best. There are auditory learners who prefer to listen. Try reading your notes aloud and discussing them with others. You might like to record key parts and play them back. There are visual learners who prefer to learn by seeing. Try using colors and diagrams to highlight your key points. You could also try to remember some ideas as images. Then there are tactile learners who learn by doing. You could use techniques like role-playing or building models.

4. Review and revise.

• At least once a week, you should go back over the things you have learned in class. Reviewing your notes can help you understand the concepts and aid you in remembering what you need the most. Get a friend or family member to quiz you as quizzes are a great way to study and help your memory. You could make your own study materials like practice exam questions or your own flash cards. Or you could try to make a game out of your study materials which could also be beneficial to you.

5. Take breaks.

• It’s important to take breaks while you’re studying, especially if you’re feeling tired or frustrated. Working too long on a task can actually decrease your performance. When you take a break, make sure you get away from your study space.  A bit of physical activity like even just a walk around the block can sometimes help you to look at a problem a different way.

6. Stay motivated

• When you’re studying it helps to keep in mind your reasons for doing all of this hard work, like a course or career you’re working towards. You have to stay mindful of your goals and remember that studying is one of your goals that can help you achieve others.

The GSU chapter of Her Campus