Black Women Empowerment: “Pampering the Community”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

While promoting unity and community service, the ladies of the Zeta Phi chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated wrapped up a week’s worth of Black Women Empowerment with their “Pampering the Community” program. This fundraising event was intended to aid mothers, and women that are expecting, who are in need of additional resources for their families. In a collaborative effort, a handful of female-led organizations on Georgia State’s campus took part in the festivities including: Softer Touch, The National Council of Negro Women, Her Campus, the Eta Mu chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., the Lambda Nu chapter Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., and the Omicron Gamma chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Often these underserved women are left to fend for themselves. This drive served its purpose which is to send a message that women are supporting and fighting for these mothers, too. Donations consisted of baby diapers, wipes, baby food, gently used baby and maternity clothes and toiletry items.

Kierra Thompson, a member of the Zeta Phi chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, told Her Campus, “if you take care of your women, you’re taking care of the families.” Women are the nucleus of the family unit, from nurturers to providers, taking on multiple roles in the workforce and within the household.

Pampering the Community was held at COZE Event Space in Downtown Atlanta. Her Campus sponsored refreshments and give away items for the event with refreshments provided by Rhines Catering. An immense amount of donations given by attendees filled two tables and a tall box to distribute to women in the surrounding Metro Atlanta area.

Thompson stated that she continuously looks for ways to make community service fun. She believes it is a necessity to continue to pay it forward to those who are not in the same position as others. Moreover, everyone must care about and take care of their respective communities.

Be sure to follow the Zeta Phi chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated on Instagram at @zetaphi1969_dst for the latest updates.

**Image credit due to Her Campus GSU staff**

Sierra Jenkins is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and African American studies. Jenkins aspires to enlighten and inform others through her writing. She believes it is important to have conversations and create dialogue around topics that aren't always discussed publicly. Jenkins strives to break societal barriers through her use of words and set an example for other women from all walks of life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus