This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Have you ever found yourself driving home from work and forgetting how you got home? Do you ever look back on the day and not have a recollection of what occurred? You may be living in a state called autopilot.

To live in autopilot is to go through your daily routine without being mindful of you actually carrying out the tasks of your daily routine. While there is nothing wrong with living a life of routine and order, it can be difficult to make decisions geared towards who you are and the growth you undergo over time.

An example of living in autopilot would be driving home after work and not being able to remember the drive itself. With school, careers, family, expectations and even a global pandemic going on, it can feel easier or even safer to fall back into default mechanisms in order to stay at equilibrium. However, if you knew the consequences of this, you would be able to see how much these default behaviors are doing much more harm than good.

Morning Routine
Samantha Glades
Want to shake the funk of living on autopilot to a life of consciousness? Read below for five things you can do to stop living on autopilot.

1. Stop trying to be perfect! Why stress yourself in hopes of becoming something that is not attainable? Focus on the things that make life worth living for, like your passions, family, volunteering, or any other activities that allow you to feel connected with the world.

2. Get in sync with your body. Another way to get out of autopilot is to pay attention to your body and its various senses. This can be achieved through various activities such as exercising, getting better sleep, yoga and paying better attention to what you eat and how much water you drink.

yoga sunrise
    Photo by Wesley Tingey from Unsplash
    Acceptance is key. It can be very difficult to enjoy what is right in front of you if you lack the awareness to do so. By accepting what is and what is not, this kind of acceptance grants you the freedom to walk through life with intention. It also gives you the opportunity to be present and enjoy the journey.

3. Live in accordance with your values. When you are unsure of the foundation you stand on, it can be easy to slip into behaviors and thought processes that can negatively affect you in the long term. By recognizing your values and what matters to you most, it gives you the awareness needed to address negatively impactful decisions and thoughts.

4.  Don’t be afraid to change up the routine every once in a while. It is important to create a routine and find order amongst the many responsibilities we carry in life. However, without realizing it, relying on that routine can inhibit your ability to find connection with what is going around you as well as the ability to be present. In order to be present through the routine of daily life, make room for activities such as finding a new restaurant to try, meeting up with a friend, journaling, and picking up a new hobby.

be the change you wish to seek. atl | gsu
The GSU chapter of Her Campus