5 Tips for Transitioning from an HBCU to a PWI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Being a transfer student from an Historically Black College & University (HBCU), Clark Atlanta University, there’s an entire different vibe from what you’re not use to. If you were like me, and grew up attending schools where students looked exactly like you, then going to a Predominantly White Institution (PWI) like GSU, will definitely help open up new experiences for you. I’ve always been the type to go right into something I’m interested in. Once you walk on the campus as a transfer student you’ll naturally feel refreshed by the unfamiliar environment. But, it can be a little intimidating not knowing anyone on campus not knowing how to get anywhere on campus. So here are a few tips on how to make sure your transition is smooth and a good one!

Photo credit

1. GET INVOLVED early. Joining a club early, sets the tone for the rest of the school year. At my HBCU last year, it was very family oriented and easier to meet people fast. They have events like Olive Branch, Market Thursdays, parties at Woody (the AUC library) and 2 other HBCUs that have events! Going to an institution like GSU where you’re classes are down 8 blocks and housing is all over the place you don’t get a chance to have that same bond. So you’ll have to put in a bit more effort. Make sure you go to the Organization Fair and ask students in your class about clubs!

2. Do you research…on everything! Like I stated before, you’re new and you most likely don’t know where anything is. At CAU, everything was on campus and very close to each other. Even though it was an open campus, we still had gates and there weren’t other random businesses near our classes. So for GSU check for apps, Instagram accounts and talk to your roommate. For example, GSU has a NextBus app that gives you an update every minute of where the shuttle is. Instagram is great too because accounts like @gsuspotlight lets you know what’s going on, on campus. And your roommate is always a big help because they’ll in a way give you the “411” on everything GSU. Especially if their an upperclassman. Doing your research helps you with my first tip as well, getting and staying involved. Also support your school! Go to games, buy apparel and check out small events that are going on at the student center.

Photo credit

3. Be smart. Even though you’re a transfer student, and everything is so new to you, it’s still college. Attending a college isn’t so new to you anymore, but sometimes a change of scenery can distract you. So show up to class and complete your homework early or on time. Make sure you thoroughly read each class syllabus to learn what’s required of each class. And go to the library often! Form a study group with people from your major or class to make it more fun.

4. Know what credits transfer over. Different schools have different class structures, especially HBCU’s and PWI’s. For example, I did 2 math credits already at CAU, here at GSU they counted it as a general credit. So make sure you talk to your advisor and the different departments here so you can see what you need to graduate. Also GSU has a equivalency chart where you can see if GSU accepts certain credits you’ve already taken. 

5. Relax and enjoy your college experience! Don’t let the being a transfer student in a new environment stress you out too much. YOU’RE IN ATLANTA. Go out and explore with friends or by yourself. There are endless possibilities when it comes to college, so go out and enjoy!   

Photo credit

Remember you’re in the heart of the city! The connects, the energy and the culture that the city brings, the opportunities are endless. Hopefully the tips above helped you. HCGSU wishes you a smooth transition and a prosperous school year.

Brie Black is a sophomore at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism. Coming from Farmington Hills, MI, Brie enjoys a good book, spoken word, working out and studying God's word. Nothing can stop Brie from reaching her goals, her ambition and strong relationship with God keeps her willing to create the best content for her readers and make it as an editor-in-chief of her future magazine line. Along with being a writer and blogger, Brie is apart of Pretty Girls Sweat and Pinky Promise. You can keep up with Brie on all social media platforms @allthingsbrie and LinkedIn.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus