Wellness > Sex + Relationships

3 Best Valentine’s Day Gifts to Give Your Partner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the day romantics get to pull out all the stops for their loved ones and revel in the fact that they don’t have to spend another holiday alone.

Though there are many ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day single or coupled up, the art of gift-giving is crucial. For those whose love language is giving and receiving gifts, the item you choose is a reflection of your commitment to your partnership. But for those who could care less about gifts, this article is for you.

The first key to a successful Valentine’s Day is proper communication about how you will celebrate together. Find out if your person is planning on a gift so you don’t feel burned later. Need some ideas?

Practical Gifts

A practical gift is long-lasting and functional. Think along the lines of bedding, cookware/dishware and clothes. Practical gifts are so effective because your person will remember who gave them that item as they use it throughout the day. You can guarantee you won’t be forgotten. The best functional gift for your person depends on who they are. Is there a damaged item you can replace? Did they just move into a new home? Is there something you believe will make their life easier? Trinkets and miscellaneous decorations are cute, but they may end up in storage or goodwill pretty fast.

Courtesy of Marc Jacobs

Sexy Gifts

Sexy gifts are for couples who feel comfortable enough to explore and share sex and sensuality with each other. These gifts are meant to be used together to create a deeper level of connection and security. Pick some lingerie or loungewear that you’d love to see your partner in. Plan a special night where you can be open and intimate. For those who are even more comfortable with each other, buy a sex toy to be used alone or together. For example, the Lush 3 is a personal vibrator for her that can be controlled over long distances via Bluetooth. So if you can’t be together, you can still be together. There is also a for him sex toy that operates over short and long distances. I only recommend sexier gifts for those who are absolutely positive that their partner is open.

Romantic Gifts

Romantic gifts are what we immediately think of when considering Valentine’s Day. These are your flowers, letters, dinner dates and sweets. Do not discount the value of a beautiful bouquet of flowers for any gender! A handwritten letter is equally amazing and romantic– if not more. In your letter, include your sappy feelings for them, your relationship goals for the future, and why they are special enough to you to receive a letter. Romantic gifts operate off of the strength of the emotions they produce. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and open your heart a little more for these gifts. That is where the impact is.

Love letter with flowers
Pezibear on Pixabay

All in all, the key to an amazing gift is your genuine intentions behind it. The energy put into a gift is far more important than the price. Let your significant other know you care by how attentive you are to their needs and wants. Still, this isn’t a competition or test… (unless it is!).

Happy Valentines Day!

XOXO,

Jessica

Georgia State University c/o 2021
The GSU chapter of Her Campus